Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - I searched for a while and eventually found a 2011 2.0 JTDM Veloce with 18k miles. 1 owner and the provenance checks out in terms of ownership, mileage, etc. (Carried out a few checks with Alfa re: servicing, GOV MOT site and all adds up and checks out accurately) it was a second car and the person only used it to 'nip to the shops' and a few weekends away. Very tidy interior and no signs at all of being pushed. It has had 3 services so far but my question is around whether, as its is 5 years old in March this year, I should consider a belt/water pump change.....any thoughts ? in my mind it doesn't seem worth the expense at 18k miles but I thought I'd ask the question. Any help appreciated and if anyone knows and could recommend a good Alfa Indy in central belt of Scotlad that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi sounds a tidy motor (we need pics) lol
Your cambelt defiantly needs doing as over 4 years old, also its done mainly short trips so I would get the water pump, belt and tensioners done asap!
Hope it helps and welcome! :)

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I would go for the belt change - might be able to get something knocked off the price as its possibly overdue (5 years in normal usage 4 in tough conditions (short journeys, town driving....)). It's an interference engine which means if it does go its going to cause expensive damage. Remember the belt deteriorates through age as well as wear and to exposure to heat, cold, damp, oil.... Just doesn't stand a chance in the engine bay!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - I'll take your advice and have that seen to sooner rather than later. The mods will be put on hold as the belt/pump are a necessity rather than a 'nice to do' thing. As I get older my priorities seem to change........:paranoid:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sounds like a plan, its not worth the risk pal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi fellow north lanarkshirian - just found them through a Google search and will get in touch ! had a good look through their website too. Cheers for that :thumbup:

·
Registered
419 Posts
No bother. Used them a lot when I first got the 147. Just picked up a giulietta this week, will probably be taking that there.

Sent from my Sega Mega Drive

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi folks - I'm having the belt, tensioners, etc. done but at 18k miles is the water pump essential ? I can understand deterioration of the belt but just wondering about the pump. Is it a 'belt and braces' approach to get water pump replaced too. Not sure what the difference would be price wise not getting water pump replaced - any help appreciated as always.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
With a new belt & tensioner it can have a negative impact on the now worn in bearings on the waterpump. If that does go it means all the parts you have just replaced will need replacing again, so £50 now as opposed for another £400 in a year maybe two's time maybe money well spent......

Reactions: wsmdesign

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys - thanks for the comments. My minds made up and I'll get everything done at the same time. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts