Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Well....been crusing your site for a few weeks now as a guest and I gotta say it's wicked! Very helpful and amusing.

Bought an alfa 156 1.8 TS 2003 (42k miles) in silver with red momo about 3 weeks ago and it's the sharpest car I've ever driven and massivly responsive for an 1800 - VERY pleased:p.....however.....

Thanks to this site a few issues solved..... Test drove the car 4 weeks ago - knocking from underneath.....dealer sorted it by replacing one of the drop links - job done...or so I thought!

..3 days later knocking again - found a small Alfa Indie in west london - put it on ramp and replaced the other drop link (£30) fitted - he mentioned "tight ba****ds" when refering to the garage I bought it off for not doing both (he also noticed the ARB had a bit of play in it:( left it for now though - too expensive to do at moment). knocking solved...pleased again....until...

...different knocking (when moving steering whell back and forth) starts a few days later....sounded like top wishbones from what you guys mentioned on this site - took it back to the indie....1/2 hour later "needs new steering rack....." oh dear £300 for part + labour!

thankfully covered by aftermarket warranty (Customer Protect)....car being picked up tomorrow (and the indie replaced the ARB...just charged me seperate for the part as the labour involved was 'part of the steering rack strip ie easy to do at the time...- wicked!" - really hoping she stays well behaved now - think I may be extending the warranty though!

Love this car to bits (had a Bravo 20v before) and lookin forward to driving her to the Alps in December :D

Will post some pics soon

All the best and look forward to my new membership!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had I similar experience with my 2003 156 JTS selespeed.
I copped th Engine Motor System Failure" which means anything from the ecu to the engine. So my first few weeks were spent getting stuff fixed also. But I've had two months of blissful driving since then.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I had several issues with mine when I bought it, nothing major or difficult outstanding now though. They're awesome cars when they're right!

I've come from a Marea 20v to a 2.0 156 - don't know about you but I miss all that bottom end torque a bit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts