Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have just picked up an 04 147 1.6TS lusso and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, the car creaks and groans going over bumps/speed humps, any idea's of were I should look first?

Also, the airbag warning light on the dash comes on intermittently, sometimes staying on and sometimes going off then coming back on again whilst driving. Pointers in the right area to check would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

franco

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Congrats on the 147 and welcome to AO. :thumbs:

Creaks and groans will almost certainly be the upper wishbones, should be no more than £90-£100 fitted per side for the uppers. If you decide to have a local garage do this make sure they use the genuine TRW arms (See link), I always buy the parts for them to fit, just easier that way.

Alfa Romeo 147 Wishbones front

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the 147 and welcome to AO. :thumbs:

Creaks and groans will almost certainly be the upper wishbones, should be no more than £90-£100 fitted per side for the uppers. If you decide to have a local garage do this make sure they use the genuine TRW arms (See link), I always buy the parts for them to fit, just easier that way.

Alfa Romeo 147 Wishbones front
Thanks for the quick reply! Is this something that can be done at home, or do I need to take it to the garage? and creaks and groans from the rear?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Thousands of threads here on both issues. Normal wear-and-tear for the 147/156/GT family.

Front suspension
Squeak , groan = top wishbones bushes.
Clunk = bottom wishbones.
Clunk that is felt or sounds under your feet = anti roll bar bushes
Clunk can sometimes be drop links but that is less common.
NOTE: top and bottom wishbones creaking or with play will quickly wear your tyres so get them done. Drop links and ani-roll bar bushes aren't urgent and will not cause an MOT failure.

If you are buying top or bottom wishbones then Delphi, Birth or TRW are recommended. DO NOT, DO NOT and I repeat one last time DO NOT buy the cheap kits off of ebay. The life of those is 3,000 - 6,000 miles at the most, worn tyres and an MOT failure the following year meaning you are doing it all over again.

Intermittent airbag light is usually the yellow connectors under the seats. Unplug them, spray with contact cleaner (a real one for electrics not WD40) and reconnect / disconnect the plug a few times to ensure its clean. Some finish off with a small cable tie to hold the connectors together nice and tight. Please disconnect the battery first. An airbag going BANG is a scary experience.

Welcome to the fold and have fun.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
147 / 156 and GT suspension is identical. A guide for any of these is appropriate to each other. The only difference between models is spring / shock absorber rates and brake disc size / calliper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Airbag light is usually triggered by the connector under the passenger seat (especially on a the door), but on my 147 it was the switch in the dashboard to turn off the passenger airbag. After cleaning the connector I never saw the light again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts