Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i m a fresh gred eng..actually i plan to buy a car with price below 13k coz i plan to buy it cash so i dont hv to pay every month for 7 years(i dont want to think the car condition after 7 years :sweat: :( )..n after make some survey i think i like alfa 146 98/99, fiat punto y2000 , audi 3a y2000 n citron xsara y2000..but there is a problem..during my survey i find out two difreen advice about this car..1st said that,the car is cheap but the cost for maintain is high n not recommend me to buy it.their recommend me to buy local car o japan/korean car. the 2nd opinion said that the maintainan is high but the car rarely broken n if we know where to get the spare part we can get the spare part in a low price n their advice me to buy it..any taiko in this issue??which car is good for me??and if the car i mention above is good,can u give me the list n price for spare part??n the maintain schedule for the car :hehe: :hehe: ..

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
An Alfa 146 will probably require more maintenance than some of your other choices - the cambelt and tensioners should be changed every 36K miles or every 3 years, for example, and some cars use a fair amount of oil, so need regular (weekly) level checks, but otherwise I don't see any real issues with one - or at least not more than most 10 year old cars.....although a 99 146 is near the end of the model run, so was designed a fairly long time ago.

There are online suppliers (shop4parts, alternative autos etc) that can supply discounted spares - so maintenance needn't be too expensive.....

Hope that helps - if you do buy one, I'm sure there will be plenty of help on here if you need it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bro..so what ur recommend car??actually i plan to buy it at this December this year..can u give some figure how much maintain cost for the car..

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The running costs will depend on the mileage you do and the condition of the car in the first place.

If you don't have a good service history with the car then the first thing you should do is change the cam-belt, the tensioner, idler pulley and (if you have a 2.0ltr) the balance belt. At the same time also change the cam variator and if you have a very high mileage, also the water pump.

The cam-belt kit and the variator are about $150 each.. the water pump about $120... but that's in the UK. You should check local prices as availability might be poor and/or shipping costs could be expensive.

The good news is that the cam-belt kit only needs changing every 60,000km and the rest of the car is pretty reliable. On a car this age, check the suspension wishbone arms and links (no clonking over bumps) otherwise it's just usual car things like tyres and exhausts and electrics to check.. but the 146 is nothing tooooo bad.

If you need the car every day and can't cope without it, or if you don't like to open the bonnet to check the oil or have a look what's happening in there, then a Jap/Korean car might be a better bet.. it'll be just easier for you to get parts cheaplu and keep it running. If you get invoved with the car, spot issues before parts break or wear out (and have the new parts already waiting and don't mind to get your hands dirty a bit) then 146 would be splendid! :)

Ralf S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts