Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I’m new around here so bear with me!

I’ve been an admirer of Alfa’s since I first saw a 156 (I’m only 26!) and am now giving some serious consideration to a diesel GT. I’d consider myself a bit of a car fan but not necessary a total enthusiast – wouldn’t be too handy under the bonnet if you know what I mean….

Last year I covered just over 30,000 km of Irelands finest roads so a diesel is definitely the one for me. Funds permitting I’m after a ‘05 or maybe ’06 model. It needs to be a used for because;

1. I can’t afford a new one,
2. I’ rather somebody else took the initial hit of the worst of the depreciation,
3. Somebody can sort the majority of the initial niggles out under the warranty.

Plus everybody seems to accept that Alfa’s a great buy used (in Ireland anyways).

Anyways, as I mentioned above I cover a lot of kms. This involves a 70km daily commute to work (95% motorway), about 4500km for trips over the year through work and then monthly round trips of about 600km to my parent house.

What I’m getting at is that although I want a car which is a ‘break from the norm’ i.e not a golf / focus etc and something a bit special but reliability is an issue fairly high in my list of priorities. Now I’m by no means suggesting these cars are in anyway more reliable than an Alfa, I’m only now in a financial position when I can look beyond those types of car towards a GT / 320d / A4 etc… (currently driving a ’06 90bhp Astra sport hatch)

I’m therefore looking for some feed back from any other fellow heavy users and their opinion on if I’m mad or not! I say this because virtually other person I try to talk to, who has any interest in car, turns into an Alfa basher! I’ve even got negative comments from a journalist who works for a well know Irish car magazine advising me to steer clear – even though the magazine he works for gave the GT a thumbs up 70% score….!?!?:rant:

At the minute the only other car (within my budget) which I really like is a MINI. There’s a new Cooper D out in April and after a few essential toys works out to be roughly same price a used GT. Its probably impossible to directly compare these two cars but the MINI seems to be the only other car out there that people genuinely seem to fall in love with!! Which is also very high on my priorities list :)

I do realise that by the very nature of this forum, people come here to see if they can get advise on their car problems which means that the majority of all post seem to suggest that lots of people have problems – but obviously nobody is going to start a tread that ‘hey my car worked fine today (!!)’, but I am hoping some people can help alleviate some of my concerns about reliability of the GT.

Some other quick questions I’m hoping somebody can help answer are;

1. How long is the standard GT warranty (assuming the car was first registered in 2005 in Ireland)?
2. How often does the timing belt need changed in the diesel or is it had the same issues regarding the petrol version being shortened to 36k miles?
3. What kind of price (in euros if possible) would I need to budget for if the suspension needed sorted for?
4. Would you suggest I'd be better looking privately or in an AR dealer – hoping that I would have some come back with a dealer?

Long winded I know, but thanks in advance for any comments

Cheers:D

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hey Longshanks, Get the GT,had mine for about a month and fall in love every time I look at it!
1.The standard ALFA warranty is 2 years with a further year from the dealer.
2.Timing belt is 36k.
3.Sorry no idea (do you live in a bumpy place?)
4.In my experience of ALFA "stealerships" you would not be risking too much by going private! (although for that kind of money I would go for a Dealer.)
ps The Alfa bashers are speaking through envy and heresay or should that be heresy!
Lead the crowd,don't follow it!!

One last thing - if you mdon't get the GT every time you see one it'll break your heart!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2.Timing belt is 36k.
I presume this is 36K miles and not KM?

3.Sorry no idea (do you live in a bumpy place?)
Sorry but pardon my ignorance, but from reading previous posts, isn’t one of the main things to look out for when after a used Alfa appears to be keeping a good out for any unusual sounds from the suspension (the bushes??).

Most of my driving will be on Motorway roads so to answer your question no I don’t live in a bumpy place. However as I’m after a used model who knows what kind of conditions the previous owner had the car through….?

4.In my experience of ALFA "stealerships" you would not be risking too much by going private! (although for that kind of money I would go for a Dealer.)
From speaking to my local dealer - Lismard in Portlaoise, Ireland if anybody is familiar, they give a 12 month warranty on all used cars so I think they'd be my best bet.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Hey Mate,
Obviously get the GT, mini's are ten a penny,
I was told by my dealership, the petrol models are 36k, but the diesel is 72K miles for the timing belt.

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
From speaking to my local dealer - Lismard in Portlaoise, Ireland
Holy smoke - Portlaosie has an Alfa dealership :wow:

When did that happen - I have been away awhile but ALfa in Portlaoise....:wow: again!

p.s. welcome to AO :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts