Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Saffers on AO.

Since I've lurked but not introduced myself yet and with a little bit of spare time before heading home, I thought I would post a quick introductory note.

Where to start. I have owned a number of not so memorable and downright crappy cars in the past but after driving a certain red sportwagon which belonged to another 'TVR' I was somewhat hooked. A colleague and friend who also owned a red sportwagon then offered me a drive in his car. I was hooked on V6 wagons.

So after a number of months I found a silver 2003 SW which was going for a good price. I traded my 1.5 year old Panda 100HP in on this in July 2009. It was relatively trouble free until the gremlins that come wit buying a second hand Alfa struck.

In October 2009 a burst water pipe led to an overheat and subsequent stop on the R21 highway late at night which brought with it it's own problems. Long story short, water pump poked, heads redone etc etc. Chris at Alfa Omega in Boksburg has been brilliant with the work and now finally the SW is back on the road.

Anyway while I hated the car while it was not working and the amount of money it cost to fix, jumping back into the car makes one forget about all the hassles and heartache.

On the to-do list still:
Creaky wishbones
Brakes and Pads
Suspension (much later)
:thumbs:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I would say Hi, but you obviously only want to talk to people from South Africa :eek:

On second thoughts HI anyway ;) :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey dude...

Welcom to the land of the living :p

Sad to hear about u car issues dude, had the same [email protected] with mine, spent R30K, but i still love it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hello.. welcome dude. i know exactly what you talking about, as you might have just heard, i have recently encontered those gremlins again, but thats a long story :) you can check it on my thread with pics..

v6's are awsome, and an itallian stallion just adds spirit to your days,. hehe

well, do join in more, as im sure we can all learn from your mis happenings as well.

·
Registered
846 Posts
howzit TVR,welcome to forum and I hope that you will have a great time interacting with the crazy bunch of peeps on here...

BTW,you didn't mention what you name is?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Welcome to forum mate! Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the who is who in the alfa zoo thready and join the facebook group aswell!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, I'll post some more about me in the "who's who" but my name is Trevor. To complicate things, I am friends with the other Trevor from AK Components who goes by TVR on some other forums. It was that bugger that convinced me to buy the V6. Sometimes I hate him, but then when I drive the car again, I forget why. :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Welcome to AO SA Lounge. You'll get to know everybody soon enough and will learn who's who in the zoo. I think i should have called the thread "All the nuts in the forrest" or sumthing like that.... I think that AO SA should have a warning like on food "Warning this product was made in a factory that uses various tree nuts.."
Obviously I say this in jest....or do I??

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Trevor, Welcome, tell us more about this "podcast" review of yours ......
Incidentally, my sister has a Panda 100 HP and I love it, I drive it quite often myself and I find it is the closest thing to an Alfasud that you can buy today. What is your opinion on them ?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Welcome Trevor!! I was wondering when you were going to join here! Glad you are here! :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Welcome :thumbs:
Another Northern region to the clan I see...
gggrrr...
Oh well all the way from CT, I would like to extend a spark plug of welcome and a fuel filter of enjoyment...
(for those who don't catch it, spark plug=huge shocking welcome and fuel filter=refined, smooth and clean enjoyment) :cheese:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Welcome Trevor. Good to see another member on here. I agree with Eric, I kinda like that 100HP. Whats it like...? I might be looking at one for work purposes...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the welcome guys. Hi Waldo :)

The Panda 100 HP is an awesome car. I had read the good reports on it from the UK when they launched there, with FIAT basically saying that it would not be considered for the SA market at first. Through a connection I heard that one had arrived in SA for testing and immediately made my way there to have a look. I was super impressed and at launch the price was good - R124 900. I took delivery of mine about a month before the official press launch in 2007. It's very stiffly sprung, but such a fun car to drive. People mock the 100HP but that car allows you to out drive cars much more powerful, the handling is that good. It was one of the first cars that I really regret selling, but I had crap dealer service and a general bad experience with FASA. Had it been out of warranty I might have kept it and serviced it at an independent, but not being able to find brake pads for it is what made me start looking at the Alfa. These issues [parts availability] have been rectified somewhat, but the dealers still remain the problem in most cases. My colleague on ZA Car Show, drove it on launch and liked mine so much that he bought one of his own; one of his friends also recently traded in a Peugeot 207 GTI (1.6 turbo one) on a 100HP . He still has it and loves it. They make great second hand buys now at ~ R100 000.

As a daily drive, the 100HP takes dedication, one tends to find the roads with the least number of speed bumps and the turning circle is crap. It's not unlike owning a 156 then. I would not buy one for my wife, but I loved every minute of driving that little beastie.

The podcast is South Africa's only motoring show which is hosted on ITunes. We also host the files online at ZA Car which is currently undergoing a full revamp so it looks a bit thin at the moment.

It's basically a 45 min long radio show which we record on a weekly basis with new episodes out every Monday. It's about 1.5 years old now and finally the motor manufacturers are starting to take note of this 'new media' avenue. There are the four of us, myself, Trevor Tuck, Patrick Gearing and Christo van Gemert; we all have proper day jobs as well, mind you.

We give a round up of the week's news, deliver car reviews and sometimes even have guests. To-date Sasha Martinengo, Anthony Taylor, Hyundai, GM, Chrysler [Jeep and Dodge] have been some of the most fun guests. We even had Alfaquad on the show who gave us advice on how to take good car photographs.

Most of all, though, I like to believe we are fair and honest. None of this sitting the fence like most of the SA motoring press. The file sizes are around 25MB so you need a bit of bandwidth, but if any of you in JHB are interested in giving it a listen, PM me and I will get some CDs together with a couple of shows on.

I am surprised with the Smart ForTwo which I owned the drivers and online communities are great and resourceful, so you will likely gets a couple of posts from me in the future.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sorry been out the loop,welcome Trev,also mates with the other Trevor fromAK ,all I can say is he is an evil man and always convinces people to buy alfas:cheese:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts