Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like a nice 147. Would love a Brera too but financially forget it!

It would have to be an ex demo as I'd be trading in my 56 plate A3 2.0 TDI and won't get much more than £13k come September.
How steep are Alfas in terms of depreciation? And dare I ask reliabilty ( I'm sure what people say about newer Alfas is tosh and they can't be any less reliable than any newish car).
Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If depreciation is an issue then buying new would be a bad idea and i would also recommend going for a limited edition model that will always command a small premium over a standard one.

As far as reliability; from my personal experience my alfa has been very reliable with fairly priced servicing costs over the past 18 months and 26,000 miles.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Thanks for that- when is the 147 due to be replaced?

The new range of Alfas are relaible, although I'd avoid a 2006 model probably, and the dealer network is considerably improved (up 21 places in the recent JD Power survey). Brera depreciation is supposed to be about as good as it gets and recent what car articles put the new range on a parallel depreciation curve to Audi and BMW (after the first year).

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
And dare I ask reliabilty ( I'm sure what people say about newer Alfas is tosh and they can't be any less reliable than any newish car).
Well.. about the worst thing you could do would be to buy a Twin Spark Selespeed 147 expecting an automatic transmission and a car that doesn't require maintenance. That motor and transmission aren't exactly the most reliable choices if you're buying a 147.
Both the Twin Spark (TS) engine and Selespeed transmission need their oil kept topped up, and Selespeed seems to need pump motor bushes and luck, whereas the TS motor needs regular cambelt changes and luck.:thumbs:
Owners in the appropriate tech lounge will give you a better idea.. I'm just going on patterns I've observed here over the years. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had an A3 before I got my GT. Talk about night and day. Granted it was the old model (02) and only a 1.6.

·
Registered
694 Posts
A mate of mine has a 2 year old A3 2.0tdi, dsg gearbox, s/line interior. I think its a very good car. It goes well, does40+mpg & is very practical & comfy.
The big surprise is that he has had FAR more reliability issues with the A3 than I've had with my Brera over a similar period of ownership. Diesel particulate filter issues, satnav (built in) crashing, & various electrical gremlins. If I had suffered that with the Brera, then everyone would have just shrugged their shoulders & said "well its an Alfa, what do you expect?? But everybody hears of supposed Alfa fragility, yet no one talks about similar problems from supposedly more robust marques.
The big difference is that the Audi dealership he goes to in Cambridge is superb. Really excellent customer service. Nothing is ever too much trouble. They even took him out for a test drive in the R8 whilst his A3 was in being looked at! Alfa dealerships still have much to learn in that respect, I'm afraid.
Also, I don't think the 147 is going to be as quick as the A3, at least if its the same as my mates. I was a bit dissapointed with the one I drove (1.6 petrol brand new), & think his A3 is pretty rapid.
The Alfa range is definitely on the up. The gt,159 & Brera/spider seem to be a MAJOR step up in build quality from certain Alfa's of old, but we still get so much perverse enjoyment out of moaning about alarm niggles & seat mounts loosening that we've got a whole section of the forum dedicated to unreliability!
I don't think Audi forum (if there is one) would allow such moaning!
With your budget of £13k +, I think I'd look at a nearly new 159, GT or Brera, rather than a new 147 which will be superceded soon, which would probably hurt the residual value.
But go for an Alfa, I doubt you'll regret it.
Matt.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Would like a nice 147. Would love a Brera too but financially forget it!

It would have to be an ex demo as I'd be trading in my 56 plate A3 2.0 TDI and won't get much more than £13k come September.
How steep are Alfas in terms of depreciation? And dare I ask reliabilty ( I'm sure what people say about newer Alfas is tosh and they can't be any less reliable than any newish car).
Thanks!:)
If you're after a 147 you could pick up a NEW 147 Collezione for not much more than the 13k you'll get for the A3.

I've an '04 plate 1.6 (TS) Lusso, I've had it 18 months now and nothing has broken, fallen off or played up.

NO less reliable than ANY other car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A mate of mine has a 2 year old A3 2.0tdi, dsg gearbox, s/line interior. I think its a very good car. It goes well, does40+mpg & is very practical & comfy.
The big surprise is that he has had FAR more reliability issues with the A3 than I've had with my Brera over a similar period of ownership. Diesel particulate filter issues, satnav (built in) crashing, & various electrical gremlins. If I had suffered that with the Brera, then everyone would have just shrugged their shoulders & said "well its an Alfa, what do you expect?? But everybody hears of supposed Alfa fragility, yet no one talks about similar problems from supposedly more robust marques.
The big difference is that the Audi dealership he goes to in Cambridge is superb. Really excellent customer service. Nothing is ever too much trouble. They even took him out for a test drive in the R8 whilst his A3 was in being looked at! Alfa dealerships still have much to learn in that respect, I'm afraid.
Also, I don't think the 147 is going to be as quick as the A3, at least if its the same as my mates. I was a bit dissapointed with the one I drove (1.6 petrol brand new), & think his A3 is pretty rapid.
The Alfa range is definitely on the up. The gt,159 & Brera/spider seem to be a MAJOR step up in build quality from certain Alfa's of old, but we still get so much perverse enjoyment out of moaning about alarm niggles & seat mounts loosening that we've got a whole section of the forum dedicated to unreliability!
I don't think Audi forum (if there is one) would allow such moaning!
With your budget of £13k +, I think I'd look at a nearly new 159, GT or Brera, rather than a new 147 which will be superceded soon, which would probably hurt the residual value.
But go for an Alfa, I doubt you'll regret it.
Matt.
Thanks for all this! I would love the brera but it seems that if I wanted a newish one (up to 1 year old) i'd be looking at adding another £10k at least? (for the diesel one)
My A3 is the 140 bhp and does feel quick, I honestly don't know how it would compare to the 150bhp 147 as I haven't driven one yet. the salesman mentionned a 147 with a 20bhp boost button meaning 170bhp coming very soon. Would be interested to see this.
I guess my question is would I miss the A3? Stylewise, no, but I am a little worried about the rest!

·
Registered
694 Posts
My mates A3 is the 170 (or is it 180?) bhp model. I don't know anything about a 147 with a "boost button" thats a new one on me.
The style of the A3 gives it a lot of practicality & interior space, but isn't exactly inspiring to look at. A 147 is SO much better to look at inside & out, but doesn't have the interior space, rear legroom etc, of the A3 if thats important to you.
Get yourself to a good dealer, & get a nice long test drive. At least half a day. A 147, or GT is a good starting point, & maybe a Brera or 159 if the budget will allow.
Happy hunting
Matt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts