Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

This is my first post here. I have joined hoping to get some expert advice.....sorry if this question has been posted before!

I am looking to buy a diesel 147 and have found what I think is a good one? A 2008 147 1.9JTDm Collezione with 49,000 miles. I have had a quick peek round it (immaculate, inside and out) - but wanted to ask advice on a knowledgeable forum before going for a test drive.

Are there any specific points to look out for? Can anyone advise me what are the main things I should check? Does the 147 have any weaknesses which I should be aware of?

I have, in the past, owned various different models of Lancias - albeit petrol ones! This will be my first Alfa! Any and all advice very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! you guys are quick on here!

No - not a main dealer.....just a local garage. They took the 147 in as a part ex. Asking 6,500K for it. Do you think that is a reasonable price?

Thanks for the speedy response

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i would look at service history and documental back up whether its main dealer or independant ..anyone can stamp a book
car should drive straight no pulling .squeking knockingso go down roughest road you can .your test drive not theirs

make sure brakes are responsive and even in action

engine should pull smoothly and briskly and tail off at top .keep an eye in rear mirror for smoke (black)

at 49 k its due a belt change soon so factor that in as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the tips.

I get the impression from your reply that the suspension can be a bit of an issue......would that be fair to say?

If the car and its history appear to be straight... do you think 6.5k is OK?

It is such a looker (red with black leather interior) You can't beat Italian cars (IMHO) they have an innate understanding of exactly what a car should be.

Thanks again for you help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those links are great - thanks! Just what I was looking for.

Looks like I will have to seriously knock the guy down in price - especially as I don't think trade is particularly brisk at the moment.

Again - thanks - you have been a great help.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Those links are great - thanks! Just what I was looking for.

Looks like I will have to seriously knock the guy down in price - especially as I don't think trade is particularly brisk at the moment.

Again - thanks - you have been a great help.
best time is just before xmass as trade tends to die off .......go round some main agents indie dealers as well you may get a bargain with a better warranty not a false promise as most garages give :thumbs:

·
Registered
989 Posts
50-60k is the sort of time a belt change is due on the diesel as well (£400) plus water pump so you may wish to factor that in too, no-one waits until the official 72k. By time they got to that model, the 147 was pretty sorted. Check for rust underneath if you can and check the service history carefully

1 - 10 of 10 Posts