Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post so go easy on me :)

Have decided to definately buy an alfa GT 1.9 JDTM for my next car in a few months once I have saved close to 6-7k but have alot of questions that need answering lol

1. What year was the diesel engine revised with slghtlty better components as I read they were better from 2006 onwards (this may be crap, but I have no clue)

2. Is it only the M-jets versions that pay more Tax?

3. Definately considering a remap by Celtic or Angel but was wondering if there are any drawback as Ive heard the clutch can slip due to all the extra torque.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks in advance :)

Lee

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
According to Parkers M-Jet is £210 a year Road Fund. Mine has an M-Jet badge on but I pay, or rather the previous owner paid £165. DVLA site confirms this too.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
In my opinion you should budget for a new clutch if you get remapped, just in case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the 2.4 JDTM the same clutch they use in the GT 1.9? Cant find that many uprated clutches but I'l have a longer look when I have time.

Wish I had 10k to spend as Ideally I'd get the car you have . . . The Q2 Cloverleaf, as slightly more power and better handling . . . . DAMM YOU lol

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Any remapping or engine upgrading will have an effect upon the clutch and other drive train components. You just have to learn to drive slightly differently to compensate, such as not putting down full power until the gear is fully engaged etc.

But, drive a few jtdms and see if you still want an upgrade. My 2007 GT is plenty god enough at the moment!

Great cars as long as you try a few and buy the right one. Good luck finding a good one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
1) they are all m jets aren't they? The difference between the JTD and the JTDm is that the 'M' means modificata - they changed the pressures, I believe. It was cheaper for me, insurance and tax wise, to go for the JTDm rather than the JTD.

2) BEFORE I GET LAMBASTED FOR THIS ONE - IT IS SIMPLY A POSSIBILITY THAT COULD MEAN YOU NEEDING A NEW MANIFOLD. They did start sticking the newer CF4 engines in them in 2006 but they added new manifolds with the swirl flaps. The flaps can get coked up and seize - there is only one valve that is motorised and the rest are slaves. I have a 55 plate with a CF4 engine and a CF3 manifold.

3) You can have mine for 4k - 55 plate, JTDm, red, tan leather, 109,000 motorway miles, totally stock and unmodified, Cambelt and waterpump done about 10k ago by Autolusso, oil cooler pipes and cooler done at the same time by Autolusso, Autolusso silicon bottom hose, F/S/H with LOADS of receipts, brakes are good for a few thousand, tyres are good, most recent service was in October and has a few thousand to the next interval. MOT expires in October 2012, Tax is due at the end of November 2012, everything works as it should and EGR has been regularly cleaned. Turbo vanes were sticking so had the turbo reconditioned in March last year, Master cylinder failed, so I had that and new drop links fitted. Brakes were done in August/September. I even have the original 'Alfa Romeo' red comb (unused)

4) The ONLY reason I mention it, is because you're on the look out for one. I have a job MUCH closer to home as of 1st Feb and I am looking to get a petrol drop top. In no rush to sell but I would love to have a low slung wind in the hair experience.

Good luck, in any case.

G

·
0 Posts
Mine is a 55 plate (registered on the last day of 2005....who knows why it wasn't left for a day lol!!) and is £165 per year in road tax

I've never had any clutch issue and all of my cars have been remapped

p.s it has already been remapped and lots more money spent on it recently so give me a shout if you are interested as I will be selling soon. It's only done 50k and is silver metallic, black leather and has 18" alloys. You can get Q2 retro-fitted within your budget and then you have a 180bhp Q2 ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the info guys :) and thanks for the offers but wont be purchasing my GT until summertime.

Hope you both find a buyer soon tho

·
Registered
26 Posts
The change over to modificata was between 54 and 55 (I don't know exactly when and anyway the registration probably isn't an accurate guide).

Best you can do is check the tax band for a specific car on direct.gov.uk/taxdisc

I have a non-modificata, so I pay an extra £45 a year in tax. I hadn't realised I did without swirl flaps - but if that is the case I'm not too unhappy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts