Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
This is my first Italian car and to be honest I'm a little apprehensive as everybody seems to slate them, you've got to try before judging is my view

It's an '03 lusso Jtd and seems to be ok with just 4 jobs I can see needing attention which will keep me busy

1) source 1 16" lusso wheel (currently has a mismatched front alloy)
2) investigate smell inside car which I believe could be a diesel leak
3) replace driver door seal
4) driver side climate switch not working

Marc

·
Registered
668 Posts
I had an 03 plate one for four and a half years , best car I ever had and never let me down or cost me money other than servicing. Shame some numpty run in the back of it whilst parked up in a shopping car park. Enjoy it, if it's as good as mine was you'll love it. Don't let people put you off , especially if they do'nt know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

Sus out the 156 tech. forum for your questions :thumbs:

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) source 1 16" lusso wheel (currently has a mismatched front alloy)
2) investigate smell inside car which I believe could be a diesel leak
3) replace driver door seal
4) driver side climate switch not working

Marc
Jobs sorted

1) sourced 4 alloys not sure if you call them "teledial" but they have 5 circles
2) changed the boot carpet as it looks like somebody spilt oil and smell is now getting bearable
3) sourced 2nd hand seal 2mins to fit
4) still need to fix climate

Also fixed a suspension knock by changing the AR drop links

Just need to sort out the vibration at idle now but this may be a garage job

·
Banned
130 Posts
my advice ive had 5 sell it it will break down cost you loads maybe split you and misses up.buy a jap car.my alfas been nicked im so sad

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my advice ive had 5 sell it it will break down cost you loads maybe split you and misses up.buy a jap car.my alfas been nicked im so sad
I would say without doubt the 156 doesn't even come slightly close to my previous car a Lexus Is200 in terms of build quality, reliability and standard spec toys, but the Alfa is about different things and you need to bear in mind they are getting old now so of course things are going to start breaking and wearing out

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a 156 JTD from new: I did 45,000 miles in it, and it never let me down. The entry level 8 valve 1.9JTD with only 115bhp, but loads of torque so point-to-point it was quite quick. Oh, and I averaged 49mpg....Great car.

As to unreliability, I'm not sure what engine you have, but I recall that the Fiat / Alfa 1.9 diesel is also fitted to Vauxhall / Opel and Saab diesel cars, and nobody seems to complain about those being intrinsically unreliable.

If you're allowing a reasonable budget for maintenance, you should have fun driving a very practical, stylish car.

·
Registered
573 Posts
*rant*
Trolley are things that get pushed around and don't think for themselves.
Strangely nobody slates new bimmers for just stopping by the side of the road, with dead electronics. Or the massive engine jobs some VW's need. No, lets slate Alfas and Fiats because they need to be maintained...
*rant over*
Nicely said and done, buying one, giving it a chance and judge for yourself if its any good.
Welcome to AO.
Have fun with you Alfa and enjoy the forum.
Cheers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am taking most slating with a pinch of salt, what changed my opinion was when I realized Fiat made the Vauxhall Cdti engine and nobody slates them but will happily put the Jtd down as unreliable cr*p. it must all come from decades ago and has no relevance nowadays

1 - 15 of 15 Posts