Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Im about to purchase my first 155 alfa,Ive had a 33 once before & i got bitten by the Alfa bug.
The one im buy is a Red 1994 2.5 V6,Its done high mileage (almost 200k Kms) but was New Zealand new,& has only had 2 owners before me.
i found the engine exhilarating,& was surprised how much better the gearbox is compared to the 33.
Im going to get the cam belt replaced again straight away (was done @ 100k) & see if the mechanic can check out the tappets as they are a little noisy,otherwise the motor seems sweet.
The clutch is very heavy,but works fine,the master cylinder was overhualed at some time (about 60k kms ago).but i dont know if they ever replaced the clutch itself. Is this normal ?
155's are pretty rare over here,mine is only one of two advertised in the country at the moment so i cant be to picky.
look forward to discussions with you all & picking up what tips i can.
cheers
Kiwi 155
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,236 Posts
Top motor!

The clutch is a bit heavier than the 33 but not unreasonably heavy. It's hydraulic though.. may be worth flushing through with new fluid.

Tappets is usually the rear cylinder bank as they're awkward to get to, so nobody does 'em.

200k clicks means she's just about run in but while your rocker covers are off, doing the tappets, check the cam lobes (exhaust) as they tend to go a bit "flat" with mileage. Not much to do about those except change them when you want more "poke".

Gearbox synchromesh and head gasket will fail next, if your wishbones don't beat them to it. You just have to wait for them to go.

If you're doing the cam-belt, the mechanic may want to check the TDC sensor while he's down there.

Also check the flexi-joint in the exhaust as only Alfa make replacements and the part is quite dear. It tends to fall apart rather than rust out, so make sure it's in good nick.

Otherwise it'll do you alright for a bit. Good luck with it.

Ralf S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
:D Hi newbie from NZ I live in the Northisland and have a 2.0 ts 155 blue black in colour. Mine has done 224000+kms. I bought it with 210000 kms on the clock. Had to replace the thermostat for radiator and sender unit for the oil temperature gauge. Also fitted a set of new plugs. Have had a good run out of it and find it pretty economical.
These are a drivers car to be enjoyed.
Cheers andym60 :p
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andym60 said:
:D Hi newbie from NZ I live in the Northisland and have a 2.0 ts 155 blue black in colour. Mine has done 224000+kms. I bought it with 210000 kms on the clock. Had to replace the thermostat for radiator and sender unit for the oil temperature gauge. Also fitted a set of new plugs. Have had a good run out of it and find it pretty economical.
These are a drivers car to be enjoyed.
Cheers andym60 :p
Gidday Andy

Great to see another NZ'er on here,Im counting down the days till i cant get it.
There bloody hard to get in NZ arent they ? I saw this was the V6 Model ,& just had to have it,regardless of high mileage.but it pleasing to see your 2.0 is going stong.
Do you know any good place's in NZ for parts ?
Where do you usally go for the simple things like plugs & filters etc.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Ralf S. said:
Top motor!

The clutch is a bit heavier than the 33 but not unreasonably heavy. It's hydraulic though.. may be worth flushing through with new fluid.

Ralf S.
HI RALPH, just wondering is the steering fluid the same as the clutch fluid coz my clutch seems kinda hard too, and how do i flush it? :confused:
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alfahta said:
HI RALPH, just wondering is the steering fluid the same as the clutch fluid coz my clutch seems kinda hard too, and how do i flush it? :confused:
No the steering is seperate,the clutch shares the the same fluid as the brakes,Ive been serching some old post about the clutch & it seem its possible that it just needs a flush & bleed.or a new slave cylinder ,but i think it most likley just the clutch plate springs etc (so i pretty much need a new clutch kit put in) which means ts going to get expensive.
Bugger :(

add to that that im going to get the new cam belt put on & the tappets(back included) done,im going to be handing over some big notes.$$$$ :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,591 Posts
Earlier Alfas tended to have heavy clutches. I had an Alfetta GTV and it was quite heavy. So much so ,that after driving a Ford Mondeo in the UK for 5 weeks , I could not drive the Alfa properly until my left leg strenghtened enough to be able to let the clutch out with some control :rolleyes:
I now have an Alfa 147 and it has amuch lighter clutch than the Alfetta GTV and much more sensitive brakes as well.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stori said:
Earlier Alfas tended to have heavy clutches. I had an Alfetta GTV and it was quite heavy. So much so ,that after driving a Ford Mondeo in the UK for 5 weeks , I could not drive the Alfa properly until my left leg strenghtened enough to be able to let the clutch out with some control :rolleyes:
I now have an Alfa 147 and it has amuch lighter clutch than the Alfetta GTV and much more sensitive brakes as well.
I remember my old 33 Had a firm clutch but this is a bit heavier than that,& its shuddering a little at the Bite when using first or reverse.Other wise it seems to engage fine going through the gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Kiwi 155 said:
I remember my old 33 Had a firm clutch but this is a bit heavier than that,& its shuddering a little at the Bite when using first or reverse.Other wise it seems to engage fine going through the gears.
Hi, is ur clutch very high, i mean when in 1st gear does the car start moving as u lift the cluthch or at the very end when u think u've released the clutch?? Coz mine does this and im worried that it might be my clutch thats in its final dayz.... :( . But saying that, it engages all gears nice and swift.. :)
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alfahta said:
Hi, is ur clutch very high, i mean when in 1st gear does the car start moving as u lift the cluthch or at the very end when u think u've released the clutch?? Coz mine does this and im worried that it might be my clutch thats in its final dayz.... :( . But saying that, it engages all gears nice and swift.. :)
I think thats just a quirky 155 trait. Mine is also set very high and at first it feels strange - especially stepping out of a newer alfa or from a mondeo as stori has done. If its engaging gears nicely and everything else it shouldnt be an issue... welcome to Kiwi 155 by the way!! :cool:
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alfahta said:
Hi, is ur clutch very high, i mean when in 1st gear does the car start moving as u lift the cluthch or at the very end when u think u've released the clutch?? Coz mine does this and im worried that it might be my clutch thats in its final dayz.... :( . But saying that, it engages all gears nice and swift.. :)
Yes it does exactly that.It bites high & doesnt reguire much pedal movement to change gear,But its quite hard to get a smooth(no judder from the pedal) take off from stand still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Kiwi 155 said:
Yes it does exactly that.It bites high & doesnt reguire much pedal movement to change gear,But its quite hard to get a smooth(no judder from the pedal) take off from stand still.
BIG WELCOME TO U, ive driven a few cars from brand new mercedes, LEXUS to honda civics but none come close to the ALFA, WELL DONE. And i feel a lot better now about my clutch thanx. Enjoy ur baby.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I tried to bleed the clutch system with one of those self bleed units with a valve thing in it.but it wasnt that effective as there wasnt a decent about of pressure in the system somehow.
The pedal would not come back up by itself,i managed to make do & its slightly better but still heavy.but this has got me thinking now that its not the clutch itself it more likely i have a bung cylinder or pump,yet i dont apear to have any leaks in the hydraulics.
Any idears ??

I hope its just the hydraulics as that will save some money ;)
 
O

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello!

I am the veteran of 2 155s in CHCH. I know them very well. The best advice I can give is DONT BUY CHEAP PARTS OR IT WILL COST S..T LOADS IN THE END!!!!!! Get hold of Phil Sylvester at Euromarque and ask him. What he doesnt know aint worth knowing. You can also use Brian Taylor at 'The Italian Job' in Antigua St. Phill has serviced all my 7 Alfas or Lancias at some time or other. The Best oil you can use is Agio Sint 2000 from Balckwells and get good filters. Don't go near Frams or anything like that!! Filters are best bought from Brian Taylor at The Italian Job.
Any more info just holler 021 365550

Oh yeah, put Amsoil in the g/box. It does wonders but it aint cheap!!
 
O

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi agian,

Sounds like ya clutch is on it's last legs. Sorry
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well brian has confirmed that its the pressure plate going,it could last a long while or it could go soon,but its a pain being so heavy so i might tell him to go ahead and do the business.

Also when he was doing the cam belt he found that a bearing or something on the tensioner was dry & looking worst for wear so that ment another $300 :eek: for a new tensioner.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top