Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been? We're thinking of a long weekend there and could do with some hotel recommendations. Any clues on where to boogie with the movers and the shakers would be great too :thumbs:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
best bars imo are down bleecker street in greenwich village, all individual, all pretty relaxed

there's also a cracking music club called the cutting room, owned by chris noth of sex & the city fame - well worth a visit - it's between downtown and midtown, forget which avenue/street

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one, sickboy :thumbs:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol:

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
best bars imo are down bleecker street in greenwich village, all individual, all pretty relaxed

there's also a cracking music club called the cutting room, owned by chris noth of sex & the city fame - well worth a visit - it's between downtown and midtown, forget which avenue/street
Remember to check out the Happy Carrot Health-Food Restaurant...........and if you like jazz.....look out for The Ragtime Rascals. :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Not been for far too many years for any recommendations to be any use.......in fact I've just checked and the hotel I used on Central Park West has now been demolished and replaced with an apartment block 15 CPW.......:lol:

Any hotels around there - between Broadway and CPW are going to be well located and within walking distance of most places you want to go to in Manahattan - which is all most people mean when they say Noo York:cheese:

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Can't help with accommodation as we had an apartment for 6 but must do's

Top of the Rock for great views.
Ground Zero for respect!
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge for pic's
Time Square to wave to the world.
Breakfast in a diner.

Have a great long weekend whatever you do.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Definitely eat in a restaurant called Garage in Sheridan square (Greenwich village). Great live music, good food and nice location to stroll around afterwards and drink in the bars round the square and surrounding streets.

If you go in the summer you should watch a film on the outdoor screen in Bryant park. V romantic.

Very atmospheric to eat in Mickey Mantles sports bar on central park south just along from the plaza.

Hotels depend entirely on budget. If you are feeling loaded then stay in the royalton. Avoid the soho grand.....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I stayed at the Gramercy Park hotel a few years ago. It has been refurbished since then (apparently it is _cool_ now !) but the location was handy. The immediate area seemed a bit dodgy but a lot of NYC can feel like that. Apparently the Kennedy family lived there and Humphrey Bogart got married there.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so far, Chaps!

Keep them coming! I got a bit more of a pay rise than I was expecting, and it was backdated, so we decided to invest it wisely :lol:

DD, that's a suoerb idea :thumbs: We are hoping to be there on or about mama's birthday (if my bodyclock can stand the lurch from +8 to -5 GMT :eek:) so that would be a must do. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
There's no consideration for me!
If you want and can afford it....go to New York!

Iv'e been fortunate to go a few times now and find just walking the streets can be an experience in itself. Where ever you stay find a local deli for your breakfast. They always make massive, very tasty and cheap breakfasts! Places to go? There's all the obvious touristy sites which are worth it IMO. Consider doing the Rockafella Centre as you'll get great views of central park and the Empire State. Being an Ice Hockey fan myself I would recomend taking in a NY Rangers game at MSG, amazing place! (though the season ends May time so it depends when you go!). Grand Central station is an awesome space and one you can people watch all day!

Definatly take in a show, Marianne and I did Stomp and Blue Man group the last time we were in NY. There not on broadway but in some really intimate theatre venues which make the shows even better. Also, if you want to take a circle line cruise round the whole island of Manhatten, takes about 3hrs I think but shows you the north end of the Island that no one ever really see's. Very flat and foresty! We also did a 15min helicopter ride, absolutely worth it if you want to splurge, but pretty damn expensive!

That's everything I can think of right now, if I remember more i'll add to the discussion! :thumbs:

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have only visted once but stayed at Boutique Hotels in New York City | The Library Hotel | Manhattan, NYC which was very nice and a good location near Grand Central .

Aside from the usual touristy gubbins we went on a food/walking tour around Greenwhich village http://www.foodsofny.com/ which was well worth it stopping for various tastings interspersed with a bit of history .

Also my girlfriend treated us to dinner at The River Café | Home which is over the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge .The food is good but the view of Manhattan at night is brillant.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some great tips, folks :)

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 49 Posts