Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided that the Gta is too small for the family and will be swapping the bella in for something different.:cry:
Trouble is for the first time in years I have actually been looking at other makes.:tut: Why?...I think its because I have the ultimate Alfa IMO.So what should I get......bearing in mind 3x children 1x wife and yours truely.Bmw 330, Subrua WRX, Mitsubushi Evo, Seat Altra, 156 SW 2.4jtd or Mitsubushi Outlander.....the later the wifes choice.Bodgit

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bodgit, if funds are no prob then you couldnt go far wrong with a BMW 335 coupe. Absolutely awesome 306bhp twin turbo 3 ltr. Get a test drive if you can, absolutely awesome!!!

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
what about a 156 GTA SW? same engine, same italian style, same jaw-dropping looks, more space, 4 doors:cool: or if you wanna stray from alfa maybe a beemer 330 saloon or an A4 2.0 FSI turbo?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'm with the GTA thingy here - 156GTA SW or Not is a practical monster.

The BMW coupe is out - you need 4 doors at a minimum...

The insides of the Seat can be summarised as "solid but eww - tacky"

I'd seriously look at the S-MAX with the 2.5 turbo engine from focus ST, driven one and they are stonking - next gen mondeo chassis as well, would make the wife more than happy and has all the space you will ever need - don't look too bad either...

Staying with alfa but coming from leftfield is a 2 year or so old 166 - pick one up for peanuts, arese v6 loads of room and luxury and that alfa charm...

Audi/BMW would be giving up that individuality you've had with the alfa, and if you want to see stealers in action look no further - sore point with me..

Mitsubishi would be dull, Subaru's cost more than alfa's to run but the legacy B spec would be a fun choice this was in the mix for me but ended up back with an italian lady...

It's a lovely choice to have....

Simes.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
That's quite a spread of potential types of replacement as opposed to models of a similar type. What's more important now; space, comfort, performance, style, economy, passive safety....?

Personally, I'd can the BMW coupe too, as previously mentioned it isn't a go-er for a family. The 3-touring works though as much as the Scooby wagon assuming you have small kids. If that's the case, my immediate reaction was GTA SW as Al said. They aren't especially large though, even in the load area.

If you want more space and some performance I have to say the up-coming Passat R36 has a certain je ne sais quoi, well actually, it has a certain 296bhp 3.6ltr V6, DSG box, 4WD and 0-62 in a very respectable 5.6secs, understated looks with a hint of aggression:cool: at about £28k in the Spring. It might be German but you can get the family and a shed-load of stuff to whereever very quickly in that.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I've sort of been in your position, looking at the Alfa 159 3.2Q4 the BMW 335i saloon and also the Mazda 6 MPS.

My decision....the BMW is a very good car, but I can't face the thought of spending £30+k on a car that I'm going to feel a complete and utter ****** both driving and owning.

The Mazda 6 MPS is a great car and great value for money but it just doesn't feel 'special' enougth.

The 159. in it's current form, is also a regrettable no - to many things that disappoint, even if only in minor ways. However, I'm going to hold on to my 156 in the anticipation that Alfa are shortly bringing out the Ti version which will hopefully address some of the concerns. I've just got a nasty feeling the 156 is now going to cost me a fortune in maintenance:cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Keep the car, get rid of the family :D

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
You might wanna hold out for the 169! Even tho you may not think so alfas are best when their big! Give it a try! Buy a second hand 166 and keep the GTA or a 530D, best of both worlds then!

How much you selling the GTA for?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
But dare i admit it! That 335 coupe is bloody nice! I would consider one of them! Best looking BMW around so far i think! It looks quite special...........i look forward to seeing them!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
But dare i admit it! That 335 coupe is bloody nice! I would consider one of them! Best looking BMW around so far i think! It looks quite special...........i look forward to seeing them!

But the germans are the germans...............and im a pizza man myself

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
A nice 159 SW :cool: The 156 SW is also very practical and very cheap. If you want a facelift car but don't want a diesel, the JTS is to be recommended (we have two) :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
As the others said before me...get a 156 GTA SW.That's a nice statement.If you're looking for a change,why not get a facelifted 166?IMO they are one of the most elegant cars around.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input lads.......Sims didn`t think of a legacy B spec before, but now seriously looking at them, quite a "wolf in sheeps clothing."

The 156 GTA Sw I love and this would be an option but would prefer a 2.4 jtd facelift but are like Rocking Horse Poo to find!

BMW 335 coupe no good 2 door again, and too pricey nice thou.

What do you guys think of a Saab 93 SW 20t?...Never crossed my mind until yesterday.Went to a AR Dealer to find no longer a AR dealer bur Saab`s.They certainly ticked the right boxs for looks and they are very nicey styled inside with white leather on some models.:wow: A very comfy looking ride.The garage was shut so didn`t get a test drive.
Anyway not in too much of a rush to change as long as I change before the trip in the summer to Southern France. Bodgit

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Yeah, I like Saab's too :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Check out your other thread! 2 possibilities for you :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers Squadrone.I tried phoning about that one at Melbury`s the other day but no one would answer. will try tomoz.:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was in a similar position a few years ago, the end result was a bloody brilliant diesel Fiat Multipla( cheap to run, fun to drive, fun to be in, reliable and practical) and a toy, currently a 2001 3.0 V6 GTV, it gives you the best of both worlds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts