Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having trouble getting enthusiastic and motivated for 2012? I don't know if it's the weather or the xmas decorations coming down, but 2012 doesn't light my fire at the moment :(

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
I know what you mean, Phil. Work is showing the inexorable signs of downturn for us - less projects, more faffing, reduced headcount etc.

I think I need to get a grip and get out more. Been a bit of a stop-in geek over Christmas. Maybe need to meet some people, talk and maybe also just get out into the countryside a bit. I usually find that brightens my spirits and helps me find time to sort things in the jumble of my head.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I had such a foul run in to Xmas on the work front (loads of year end deadlines, people issues etc) that Xmas sort of arrived too abruptly and suddenly from working like a navvy on Friday 23rd it was the 27th and it had all gone by.

New Years weekend was spent trying to stop the house falling apart, and now - wallop - it's January 6th and I don't feel like I've finished 2011 yet..... :confused::(

My New Years resolution is to organize the end of 2012 much better - get work things sorted early in December and have a proper 2012 Xmas with a few evenings out and a good glide into a relaxing Xmas.

Having siad that - at my age you have to be careful wishing years away like that!

So, I agree - this start to 2012 just seems like a continuation of a hectic end of 2011 to me and therefore not a real "New Year".

·
Registered
997 Posts
Has been difficult all this week have yet to make my 7:00am tube :). I have been irritated at work for a bit now and the letter before christmas has not helped " due to your excellent PDR we have benchmarked your position externally .....no pay rise not even the laughable 1.5% of the past two years.Last year at about October time I realised this would be the case so I had contacted the Recruitment consultants and they are now finding me interviews hopefully I should actually have one next week.I have a few big things to aim for this year
1 New Job ( the right job I have been with the same compnay for 7 years I am not just jumping for the sake of it)
2 I am going to finally ask my girlfriend of 5 years to marry me

I think these two should keep mr going for a bit :)

So although my current days area bit depressing hopefully there are some positive things to come in 2012

M

·
0 Posts
In many ways, 2012 opens up an Aladdin's cave of opportunity for me......I just need to try and recognise them when they are there, and take them :)

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
the first week or two of january are always complete gash. dark, cold, wet, skint, no partying... no wonder all the holiday firms advertise like billy-o at this time of year

hope to be getting a permanent contract sorted out at work this month though, if they won't give me one then i'll be on the lookout for something else...

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
the first week or two of january are always complete gash. dark, cold, wet, skint, no partying... no wonder all the holiday firms advertise like billy-o at this time of year

hope to be getting a permanent contract sorted out at work this month though, if they won't give me one then i'll be on the lookout for something else...
I need some guttering lined up properly. What are you like up ladders?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Didn't realise you were "one of us" Al ... but why would you want a permanent contract? I earn about 3x on my fixed term contracts than I would permanent (sounds like you need to get better at negoiating!!!!)

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
:thumbs:

I pay £1 per minute.

Good pay rate eh :confused:

I look forward to your quotation for catching a mole.
Please detail your activities on a 'per mole' basis and submit the
information in indelible ink.

Small Print:

The rate of pay quoted is conditional upon the timed minutes of actual work as
stated by the Employer (me). You (the Contractor) has no right to challenge
the 'minutes worked' as stated on the Employers issued timesheet.

Even Smaller Print:
For information only: a 'minute worked' is defined (very loosely) as a period of time
during which the Employer has noted sweat on the brow of the Contractor.

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
2012 has started much the same as 2011 for me. I'm hoping it will end very differently :)

Assuming the predictions about the end of the world are wrong ;):lol:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Joking aside for once, no. 2012 is starting at full speed and will be a great year. 4 days done this week, great stuff happening already, and lots more to look forward to.

I'm very positive about 2012.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Why should the ticking of a clock that takes us from one year to another make any difference?

Psychologically we can make it a difference, I guess, but that depends on what we want, can achieve....

I've a few external drivers affecting me - my unit being sold - precipitating/facilitating my semi-retirement - but I'm not totally convinced its what I want....just what is achievable at the moment.....

Of course, what I want is to win the lottery :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Grr things are not happening quick enough .I have made a decision the order was going to be new job then marriage proposal ............. then finding a place together( we currently live seperately guess I am old fashioned).

I am going to propose first that is a decision

K

·
0 Posts
I'm not thinking much of 2012 so far.

I had a couple of irons in the fire as regards a change of job due to being in the same one for far too long, to the detriment of both me and those around me. However, that bonfire has been well and truly ****ed on now so it looks like I'm stuck with no prospect of a change, a promotion or a pay rise despite flogging myself to death. It seems that other people benefit from my efforts but I don't and it's starting to get to me.

I usually leave thoughts of work behind when I go home (I often take work home but I don't normally waste my free time thinking about it) but it's affecting my mood pretty much all the time which isn't good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts