Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I told my missus when she got her car about a year ago that i'd sort it out for her (pimp it up :lol:)
The car was already lowered when she bought it, so it was half way there already but i just thought it needed a nice set of rims to finish it off.

I'd always liked the 'porsche wheels on a veedub' look and couldnt turn down a set i found on t'bay a few months ago. I paid just shy of £200 (inc. delivery) which i thought was a bargain for the set of 4, 16'' porsche 928 rims. 7'' wide at the front and 8'' wide at the rear. Even the dunlop D4 tyres had loads of tread left on them. Total gift i thought.

To cut a long story short, they have been an absolute nightmare to fit and if im honest, they still catch slightly at the rear but thats getting sorted this week.

Ive needed new tyres, adapters (4x100 to 5x130), loads of cap screws, 16 new bolts and new locking nuts, various different size spacers, a big hammer and a file to make them fit.

original tyres on the rear pair were 245/45/16, a stretched pair of 195/45/16's have just about went on all round and they look way better and are physically smaller which is what i was after.

Anyway, heres a couple of before and during pictures.....
Afters to follow
:thumbs::D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And heres the end results, I think they look absolutely amazing................

Attachments

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wait until she finds the first kerb with those - you'll be livid after all the work you've put in! :lol:
That thought fills me with dread and its inevitable really. Ill be soooooo gutted the first time i see a chunk taken out. :cry::cry::cry:

She's not too bad a driver though.

S

·
0 Posts
Looks good fella, nice car as well and thats coming from someone who is not keen on VWs :lol:

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
The wheels look great but I really don't get the stretched tyre thing. :confused: It looks dangerous to me! :eek:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The wheels look great but I really don't get the stretched tyre thing. :confused: It looks dangerous to me! :eek:
Cheers Geoff.:D whats not to get, like? i know what you mean tho about lookin dangerous but ive been assured they will be fine, anyway, my missus doesnt drive like me so she'll deffo be alright plus the stretch on hers is fairly small compared to some wolly's..... see attached. :thumbs::D

They ended up stretched like that due to necessity rather than wanting them like that. I needed to achieve a similar rolling radius to her 14 inchers without being too wide either, and 195/45/16's is what the tyre man came up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Looks good, I've always liked the look of the early Golfs :cool:

Cheers Geoff.:D whats not to get, like?
Fine for a show car but not so good for everyday use, lets see if you like them after their first kerbing :( Maybe another pair of 7" would be good for the rear, wouldnt have quite the same look but still very nice.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks mint that dude :D
looks tasty.
Good work fella.
Looks good, I've always liked the look of the early Golfs :cool:

Fine for a show car but not so good for everyday use, lets see if you like them after their first kerbing :( Maybe another pair of 7" would be good for the rear, wouldnt have quite the same look but still very nice.
Cheers lads. :thumbs::D

Pascs - Seems like a sensible idea trying to get some more front ones for the rear, but im just about there with this set now so im sticking it out and keeping the good looks.:thumbs:

B

·
0 Posts
Nice work, they look very good. Your 147 looks absolutely amazing; one of the nicest I've seen. It's funny, sometimes the same cars with the same mods somehow end up looking imperceptibly better and yours is most certainly one of those.

A great pair of cars. :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mark 1 Golf cab = v nice :thumbs: Especially in that kind of nick.
Cheers mate:thumbs:

Nice work, they look very good. Your 147 looks absolutely amazing; one of the nicest I've seen. It's funny, sometimes the same cars with the same mods somehow end up looking imperceptibly better and yours is most certainly one of those.

A great pair of cars. :thumbs:
Thanking you.:) I know what you mean about the different cars though, bit mad that isnt it. I reckon as long as you get your colour, wheels and stance suiting, your sorted:cool::thumbs:

They look seriously :cool:!! Nice work.
Ta lad.:thumbs::D

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Looks good mate.
(looking at your last pic - are the tyres on in the right direction of rotation?)

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good mate.
(looking at your last pic - are the tyres on in the right direction of rotation?)
Thats a very good spot that mate.:thumbs:
You are indeed correct, but they have been swapped around since then. I managaed to put both sets, front and rear on the wrong sides. :eek::thumbs::D

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
nice pair there you have

love the retro golfs

1 - 20 of 54 Posts