Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need a new set of wheels for my 2008 2,4 diesel with Brembo calipers in the front. I plan to stick with 17" and 225/50 due to budget and comfort. Any one here who knows if any of the following wheels fits my car without interfering with the calipers:

ATS Emotion 17x7.5 ET35
Ronal R54 17x8 ET35
BBS CF 17x7.5 ET41
All of the above are listed as not suitable for cars with Brembos. Not many that are.

Opinions on my taste are welcome! And of course also suggestion for other wheels suitable for black metallic 159 sedan.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I think the 159 is way too big of a car to be rolling on little 17s.
Just my opinion.
I'd also stick with something Alfa themselves produced, not necessarily for the 159 model.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 159 is way too big of a car to be rolling on little 17s.
Just my opinion.
I'd also stick with something Alfa themselves produced, not necessarily for the 159 model.
I agree that it looks better with 18" or bigger. But we have roads with coarse asphalt that make the noise from bigger wheels a pain. I prefer to run 17" with Michelins over 18" with Pingpong tires. Our kerbs loves big wheels.

I stick to wheels that are approved for winter use since they have a paintwork that stands up better to the abuse on our roads. I stay also away from all the clearcoated diamond cut junk. The paintwork on the original wheels sucks:furious:

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
You're right about the paintwork on the original wheels!:frown:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not many aftermarket wheels that fit a 159 with Brembo brakes. Whatever you do, never trust the sites that lists wheels compatible, double check with the company that makes the wheel. I'm now down to two candidates that the will fit my car. And are approved for winter use.
ATS Radial 17x7,5
Ronal R54 17x8
Alutec Grip 17x7,5

I can not make up my mind between these three. I like the ATS radial i grey but a little unsure how it will look on my black metallic car. The Alutec Grip have the nicest price tag and should be fairly easy to keep clean. Opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Why not get a second hand set of OE wheels then have them coated in you refered paint/powder?

My winter set cost £40, I just sprayed them with enamel satin black paint after a quick rub down.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
You can get standard Alfa Sport 17s. for the 159. Had them on the 1750.

Shown here:

Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon 2009 Picture #06
They look too big in that pic to be 17s. They look at least 18'', and they do look good, perhaps not quite as good in reality?

Alfa have done this before, I remember pics of the G Lusso in the brochure with wheels in the style of the standard 16s, but made to look bigger and with quite low profile tyres, nothing like the bulbous items you get in reality.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Those wheel were great.

Clearance of the Brembos is scarily close. :eek:

And saved a fortune in tyres without have to resort to
buying cheap AAAARRrrg!® ™ DitchFinders. ;)
(Mine stayed shod with Michelins and were covered by Michelin OnWay.)

And there's more repairable surface on the 17s.

Quids in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not get a second hand set of OE wheels then have them coated in you refered paint/powder?

My winter set cost £40, I just sprayed them with enamel satin black paint after a quick rub down.
No decent used Alfa wheels where I live. I'm not so happy with buying used wheels. I've seen to many examples with bent wheels requiring repair=€€.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those wheel were great.

Clearance of the Brembos is scarily close. :eek:

And saved a fortune in tyres without have to resort to
buying cheap AAAARRrrg!® ™ DitchFinders. ;)
(Mine stayed shod with Michelins and were covered by Michelin OnWay.)

And there's more repairable surface on the 17s.

Quids in.
Only a few millimeters between caliper and the orignal wheel.

I like the wheels from Ronal and ATS and cannot make up my mind:irked: Both ATS and Ronal make wheels of good quality. Not like some of the junk on market.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts