Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 18's on to replace the 17's yesterday. Had a drive down the motorway to Manchester and back today and the car feels a little different now.

Ride - slightly harder and not as comfy (slightly) to be expected.

Road noise - A little more, again with wider, lower profile rubber, to be expected.

Handling - Feels more planted and little more direct, good thing.:thumbs:

Performance - The 18' are heavier than the 17's and i felt there was a little edge taken off acceleration. Only noticed this at lower speeds and it was only slight.

Overall I like the more secure feel and sharpness to the steering. I can handle the slightly less comfortable ride and increased road noise and this might be improved with different tyres wwhen it's time to change (bridgestones, same as were on my 17's). Plus it looks so much better.:thumbs:

Anyone else had a similar experience?

N

·
0 Posts
Yup 18's on the Brera gave much more planted cornering and a firmer
ride than 17s on the 159.

However 17s are cheaper and even though I've slightly kissed
a couple of kerbs there is zero damage to the 17s.
18s would already be ruined around here. ;)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
18's make a huge difference to the feel of the 159. Well worth the slight downsides IMO and a better compromise than the 19's.
Totally agree Fraser. Even my wife commented on how much better it felt and she sees the Alfa as the enemy!

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Looking good Twissler :thumbs::cool:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Cracking wheels. Still saving for mine!
I think the 7 hole Horseshoes are the best all round look on the 159. Very classy, stylish and also in keeping with the history of the marque.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
When I had my first 159 I was thinking about changing to 18's and Fraser suggested that it would be a worthwhile upgrade. I took his advice and the change just tightens everything up. Fastforward 12 months and I've got myself another 159 which has 18's on it and it is just the same. I disagree with the difference in cost of tyres though: I paid £129 for a 17" Bridgestone in November and £130 for a 18" Michelin in January. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts