Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all really!

Droney whine (not the wife) that gets louder with speed but not engine revs. No discernible difference depending on direction.

Is there anything else if could be?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could be the tyres or the wheel bearings. Unless the bearings are gone far enough to get movement in the wheel its a tough call. I bet on the bearings and got them replaced. Turned out to be the tyres :weeping:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the tyres or the wheel bearings. Unless the bearings are gone far enough to get movement in the wheel its a tough call. I bet on the bearings and got them replaced. Turned out to be the tyres :weeping:
thanks guys - will report back tomorrow night.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would seem to be the o/s wheel bearing!

However, not overly impressed that the garage couldn't get one from Alfa until 4th Jan and that his other possible supplier closed at 4:00pm today. They had the car since 8:00 am so I would have thought they would have been more on the ball.

It's my local Rapidfit - I figured they should be able to sort a wheel bearing but for the big stuff I will go to the guys (and girls?) who know what they are doing!

So they are ringing tomorrow with a price!!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Front or rear? Rear is dead simple, pattern part about £30, OEM about £120. Front your typical FWD setup with plenty of potential sticking points to make it awkward. CV sticking in hub, lower fork bolt sticking in wishbone, strut pinch bolt sticking in strut. Shouldn't be anything to tax a competent mechanic too much though.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front or rear? Rear is dead simple, pattern part about £30, OEM about £120. Front your typical FWD setup with plenty of potential sticking points to make it awkward. CV sticking in hub, lower fork bolt sticking in wishbone, strut pinch bolt sticking in strut. Shouldn't be anything to tax a competent mechanic too much though.
Cheers for that ChrisS

She's booked in for Monday ....

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Cheers for that ChrisS

She's booked in for Monday ....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"Gonnae no day that"......I really need sum lessons aff yee Marky tay dodge the wifes bullets. When she whines awe the other noises disappear or are drowned oot...When are those heaps going etc etc etc.

My FRONT wheel bearing was a dry cj joint
My REAR was a sticky caliper.

So LUCKY FUR MOI...No kneaded tay tackle that YETI.:biglaugh:

Onyways as it's near the Bells....Awe ra best tay fellow die hard 166ers and long may yer Alfa Roar.

My noo years revolutions is tay (yet again) extract the digit. Hopefully 2016 wull be that year. Cannae end up wie 4 sorned and scorned.:jester::censored::thumbup:

Pomeo

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"Gonnae no day that"......I really need sum lessons aff yee Marky tay dodge the wifes bullets. When she whines awe the other noises disappear or are drowned oot...When are those heaps going etc etc etc.

My FRONT wheel bearing was a dry cj joint
My REAR was a sticky caliper.

So LUCKY FUR MOI...No kneaded tay tackle that YETI.:biglaugh:

Onyways as it's near the Bells....Awe ra best tay fellow die hard 166ers and long may yer Alfa Roar.

My noo years revolutions is tay (yet again) extract the digit. Hopefully 2016 wull be that year. Cannae end up wie 4 sorned and scorned.:jester::censored::thumbup:

Pomeo
Arrggghhh - garage have just rang!

Hub (?) and bearing are not playing ball so they are trying to get a replacement hub!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorted apparently - when they tried again!

Can't help but think if they had been able to get a hub would I simply been out of pocket through little effort on their part? - or is that just plain cynacism!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Chris - yes otherwise there may have been whining from indoors!!

As one of my former colleagues in SA used to say - a very fine line between cynicism and realism.

He had one of the 1st 145 Cloverlearfs in South Africa apparently!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts