Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Audi has been taken away from us because we put too many miles on it and haven't chosen a new company car. So, we got a choice of a few cars from the company pool. We had a choice of Volvo Estates, VW Golf's, Jetta's and Passat's

We chose a Passat and received a brand new 2.0 TDI SE in Silver on Friday morning, I've been driving it a bit over the last couple of days and it isn't a bad car except for one screamingly infuriating badly implemented piece of the cars functional use.

It's a big car, big enough that you can't rest your elbow on the drivers door when driving, big enough that passengers in the back wouldn't be able to touch the back of the seat in front easily. Even so, the car feels fairly nimble belying it's weight, holding the road well and the 140 bhp 2.0 imbues the car with more than enough power to get it around with the minimum of fuss but also with the minimum of excitement.

Toys-wise there isn't a lot this being a fairly basic model, there is one thing though that I HATE MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE ON THE PLANET IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD EVER.

In their infinite wisdom VW have decided that cars don't need handbrake's anymore, instead you get a button, on the dashboard.

This makes it practically impossible to balance the clutch, revs and handbrake when your reversing up a 1 in 3 hill (which I just happen to live on). It's either all or nothing and I've nearly put this car in the back of my 147 about 3 times already, it doesn't get any easier as the button activated parking brake is TORQUE sensitive, so it only turns off when the torque reaches an preset level.

This means that you've got a pretty good chance of stalling the car on the hill with no handbrake to stop it rolling forwards into the rear of the car in front.

If it wasn't for this one thing I'd be happy with this car for normal driving because it's a nice urbane cruiser, albeit bland and unexciting. As it stands I'll be glad to see the back of this car and we'll be getting the order in for the Audi very soon.

B

·
0 Posts
:rolleyes: Tis the future I'm told........Citroens new C4 Picasso has an electronic parking brake too.......as does the wierd and wonderful C6 - AFAIK anyway.

:D No need for alarm though,Alfa will probably start using them around 2015.

N

·
0 Posts
Yup, mate has one.
Handbrake designed by dumb people who
live in a flat country, probably.

Audi too.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nev said:
Audi too.
Which one? The A3 has a proper good old fashioned handbrake.

:)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
If not, then thats a cataclysmic blooper by somebody! :rolleyes: :lol:

BigFoot said:
Don't cars with electronic parking brake also come with hill-start? :confused:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Renault Lagunas also have electronic handbrakes (at least some do).

I always think that if the car is meant to improve the driving of some brain-dead @rse hole, then what does that say about the people who buy them;) :cheese:

I'll be keeping my Alfas them. Come to think of it, I'd rather my dads's Volvo 940 rather than the gadget over-endowed crud many manufacturers are peddling these days:rolleyes:

Oh, avoid tyre pressure monitoing also. I've yet to meet somone who likes it;)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trailbraker said:
If not, then thats a cataclysmic blooper by somebody! :rolleyes: :lol:
It's an option you have to pay for on a Passat, doesn't come as standard and this car doesn't have it. :(

·
Registered
457 Posts
GhostyDog said:
It's an option you have to pay for on a Passat, doesn't come as standard and this car doesn't have it. :(
That's nuts! If you have the time and can be bothered, I would write to VW UK and explain your situation and ask what you are supposed to do...would be interesting to hear their reply.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
virage1 said:
That's nuts! If you have the time and can be bothered, I would write to VW UK and explain your situation and ask what you are supposed to do...would be interesting to hear their reply.
Passat...Engineered by Marketing and sales;) :eek: :D :cheese: :lol:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
virage1 said:
Your not wrong, I couldn't find it so I went looking in the manual and it's 'supposed' to be a switch on the panel around the gear lever. There's lots of blanking plates for where switches should be but no hill hold switch.

Maybe it's an oversight on this car? Might get my lass to query it with ALD (who supplied the car).

Cheers for the input on this one lads.

N

·
0 Posts
Audi A6 has a toggle button where the handbrake should be.

The Laguna: you drive off with the handbrake on and it
disengages. (Even worse system!)

My dad ditch a brand new Focus because it had this
dumb handbrake too.

Also accounts for increased rear pad wear too.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
too many electronic gadgets IMO! More to go wrong..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts