Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
17,506 Posts
From wikipedia: A coupe or coupé is a passenger car with a sloping or truncated rear roofline and two doors. The term coupé was first applied to horse-drawn carriages for two passengers without rear-facing seats. It comes from the French translation of "cut".

Things that aren't coupes:

Wardrobes
Estate cars
Mountain ranges
The Welsh
Toasters
Skyscrapers
Saloon cars
My garage
Cricket
Silly faux 4x4s with weird sloping rooflines

This is not a complete list of non-coupe things.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
9,100 Posts
Ah, the 4-door coupe. Alfa missed a trick with that one - we could've had a more interesting Giulia. Two birds, one stone...

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,365 Posts
looks like a copy of something from the Far East. It will sell though.

Reactions: Muz

·
Administrator
48,089 Posts
That is perhaps the least coupe looking thing I've ever seen in my life. And I've seen bricks.

·
Registered
17,506 Posts
But you can get 4 door coupe's now. The Merc CLS started that Niche.
The Oxford English Dictionary (along with every other dictionary, and me) would disagree:

A coupé is a car with a fixed roof, a sloping back, two doors, and seats for four people.

Reactions: Top Down

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
That VW Coupe thing isn't that weird... The VW T-Roc comes in soft top which looks even worse in the flesh than in pictures.

It's what people are paying money for these days I suppose so no point in complaining...

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think you have been answered :)

Frankly every SUV should be confiscated and crushed - with owner watching before being sent to re education camps to taught all about class and civility and generally how not to be a self centred tacky annoying fashion victim...

·
Registered
17,506 Posts

Frankly every SUV should be confiscated and crushed - with owner watching before being sent to re education camps to taught all about class and civility and generally how not to be a self centred tacky annoying fashion victim...
You come near my ancient CRV and I'll set the cat on you. I'd set the dog on you too but she can be bought with a small dog biscuit and a scratch behind the ear.

I have no issue with SUVs at all, if that's what people want to drive. My issue is with coming up with that sort of toss and saying it's a coupe. It's not, it's a faux off reader. You can dick about with the roof line to make it less practical and more odd looking but it will never be a coupe.

·
Registered
40,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The punishment must fit the crime; owners of two SUV coupes should be transported to the antipodes where they be given a Ute as a replacement.

·
Registered
40,333 Posts
The Oxford English Dictionary (along with every other dictionary, and me) would disagree:

A coupé is a car with a fixed roof, a sloping back, two doors, and seats for four people.
But we do know that the English language evolves over time, and the Oxford Dictionary has to be revised every now and again to stay relevant. It just hasn't caught up yet.

I quite fancy a 4 door coupe myself, 4 doors and some style what more could you want?

1 - 20 of 154 Posts