about to pull the trigger on first alfa
alfa giulietta qv
question i have is...
can get a new one for about 35k more than a demo with about 5000km on
the new one is white, the demo red
rest is about the same
can afford either
just not sure which one to go for...

any advice or pointers from the respected members?
thanks in advance for your assistance

regards

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Hi,

Problem is one never knows how the demo was cared for or driven.

Remember when you buy new as soon as you drive it off the floor you lose 14% (basically losing the VAT that was part of the purchase price). Is the demo a 2013 model or before that?

Before 2013 models have a service plan and longer warranty. From 2013 you have a full maintenance plan but shorter warranty period.

If the demo looks good and well cared for then go for the demo.

For peace of mind ask the dealer to run the diagnostics on the car while you are there. So you can see possible errors that the ECU might be kicking out.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I'd go with a new car every time. Yesterday I had a look at a demo and even though it had 5000km on it had minor scuff marks on the bumper and the seats showed wear. My car with almost 40000km on doesn't show anything of the sort.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. It's a 2013 model and I'm planning
to increase the maintenance plan to 5yr/100 000.
I can only view the car on Monday but on the pics I've seen it's immaculate.
Ill definitely look at them doing the diagnostics.
I am getting quite a big discount on the new one, only snag is that I need
To confirm today.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
In addition I would ask if one of their people drove it on a regular basis. Then follow this guy home for two nights to assess his driving style.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would normally go for the demo but only after proper inspection. You need to remember that if you buy it new, the moment you drive that car out of the dealer floor, it's worth as much as the demo. Also, Alfa's in general tend to depreciate even more than you regular BMW, VW's etc. My advice would be to do an inspection of the car thoroughly and make a decision from there. If you find nothing wrong with it, go with the demo. If there are any scratches at all or even parking dents, then go for the new model. The mileage at 5000km is pretty insignificant.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I would normally go for the demo but only after proper inspection. You need to remember that if you buy it new, the moment you drive that car out of the dealer floor, it's worth as much as the demo. Also, Alfa's in general tend to depreciate even more than you regular BMW, VW's etc. My advice would be to do an inspection of the car thoroughly and make a decision from there. If you find nothing wrong with it, go with the demo. If there are any scratches at all or even parking dents, then go for the new model. The mileage at 5000km is pretty insignificant.
I agree, don't write off a demo just because it isn't new. I've seen some demo's that look like they're still new and some that looked horrific. Also take into account how less much your monthly payments would be. If you're only saving say R100 a month then just go new.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My only problem is that I need to confirm with the
Dealer today for the discount on the new one and can
Only view the demo on Monday....

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Your comments on depreciation is based on what exactly?

I have access to Transunion's dealer booklets and Alfa's resale and depreciation rates match the german rivals. Problem is people perceive Alfa's as depreciating faster (thanks to fools such as those on Topgear), so dealers tend to offer Alfa owners less and people take it. The resale and book value depreciation rate is very similar to the germans so its not true that they depreciate quicker. Alfa owners just settle for less (unless you Eric :cheese: )

·
Registered
608 Posts

I have access to Transunion's dealer booklets and Alfa's resale and depreciation rates match the german rivals. Problem is people perceive Alfa's as depreciating faster (thanks to fools such as those on Topgear), so dealers tend to offer Alfa owners less and people take it. The resale and book value depreciation rate is very similar to the germans so its not true that they depreciate quicker. Alfa owners just settle for less (unless you Eric :cheese: )
Sorry, maybe I phrased it wrong then. You're spot on though. I come from an insurance background and before I bought my car, I looked at all the retail values of the cars I was interested in namely 159's, 166 facelift and 147. A lot of the 159's were on the market for under 150k when the actual retail values were between 170k and 200k. When Eduardo was selling his 166 facelift, he advertised it for 85k and retail on that car was about 160k. The car that I eventually bought, the 147 retails for about 140k and I picked it up for just over 100k. We can therefor conclude that dealers are ripping alfa owners off with their trade in's and alfa owners themselves are just allowing them to.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

I agree with you and my cars trade-in value is about 110k right now (According to transunion and chats) but the chances of me actually getting that are slim to none. The reason being is that there's a good few cars like mine for sale that have been on the market for months never mind weeks without shifting. I regularly monitor the used car websites and dealers just cant shift them. Most dealers won't give you the trade value on a car they know will be difficult to shift...doesn't matter what transunion says. The only dealer that seems willing to play ball is chatz.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
immidiately I have to retract that statement: Came out of the ofice now and saw someone scraped my front bumper! :(
I see you haven't commented again, have you found the culprit and dealt with him accordingly???:cheese::cheese::cheese:

·
Registered
4,514 Posts

If dealers offer Alfa owners less (than other marque owners) and people take it, this means that depreciation would actually start being different at some point as the Transunion data is generated by these sales. Of verstaan ek verkeerd?

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Good point El.... I often wondered about this..... as already mentioned here, I NEVER settle for less than trade value.... and that is the start of the negotiation.... condition of the car, mileage, extras need to be taken into consideration as well.....

Chatz will play ball, if you give a little, they will give a little.... but I will not accept 40k below trade value like they will offer if you do not insist on more....

So I guess my message is.... if you trade in your car, and the dealer gives you peanuts, walk away.... someone else will eventually give you what the car really is worth.

With regards to Demo Vs New, I normally would not even think of new..... the amount of money you loose is too much.... remember, a car with 100 km on the clock is essentially brand new..... when it gets to the 2000 km mark, that car is second hand. Keep an open mind, the odd blemish can be fixed, and you use that to your advantage when negotiating price.... you save a lot of money by compromising a little bit.....

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It's a 2013 model and I'm planning
to increase the maintenance plan to 5yr/100 000.
I can only view the car on Monday but on the pics I've seen it's immaculate.
Ill definitely look at them doing the diagnostics.
I am getting quite a big discount on the new one, only snag is that I need
To confirm today.
Are you buying from Chatz
Check if the Reg number is CM 27 TF GP......
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-africa/379876-bye-bye-159-a-4.html#post5357871

1 - 20 of 52 Posts