Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.
Now on my 2nd 156 Sportwagon. The first was almost free of the nastier bugs and gremlins, but this 2nd one is loaded with them. Fast as I attend to one thing, three more appear..... Even more annoying is that was carefully chosen as a one-previous owner low mileage car but in effect that seems to count for not a lot. I hope some nice kind people out there might advise me on things new to me, and I'd be pleased to report on my experiences/fixes/solutions - there are a few !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here we go then. Discovered today that some bright spark has almost destroyed the internals of the locking wheel nut keys of my car. The front wheels have been off once since I bought the car, and the rears twice. On both occasions by garages. I understand well how the keys are used - I had the wheels off my previous SW lots of times and never any damage to the keys. The keys for my current car are so abused that they wont grip the nuts. I bought a new set of keys and locks from Alfa, using same part number on the kit box, but lo and behold the arrangement of the lugs/splines is different. I see now the bolt heads and keys are letter-stamp coded. So I can fit the new locks, if only I can get the old bolts out. Does anyone have any similar experiences or helpful advice ?

M

·
0 Posts
either go back to Alfa and get correct key or drill em out and get some quality ones

:)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and welcome !! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I'm in Llanymynech and work in Shrewsbury. Do you have any good local maintenace experiences ?

Chris Curtis

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all the good people offering advice. It seems the locking bolts have to be removed by fair means or foul owing to abuse of the keys' tender and fragile little edges (monkey metal). They will be removed tomorrow either by brute force and ignorance, or by my local Fiat dealer who told me they have exactly the same problem with Multiplas and are used to dealing with them. That will cost soem labour, but saves the cost of easy-outs as I assume the dealer already has those. Either way hopefully the new bolts will be fitted tomorrow with damage to the original alloys.
Thanks everyone, I do appreciate your words - cheers.:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts