Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I'm new here

I stumbled across this forum through google and was very pleased to find that such an informative forum dedicated to alfa

I am viewing an alfa 156 today. If all goes well I will leave a deposit on it. However i wanted to ask for your advice. Here are the details of the car I am viewing followed by a few questions, thanks

2001 ALFA 156 1.6 T/S VELOCE, 77000 miles

Questions
1) This car has had a new engine fitted around 20000 miles ago, should I be concerned? Are there any issues with fitting new engines on an alfa 156? Will the fact its a 1.6 mean I have to look out for anything in particular? Any help would be great
2) Does anybody know if you can get this car (1.6) in silver with the beige or cream trim with wood? i've only seen the veloce model and I don't really like the dark leather (although I haven't seen it in person)

Any general tips on things to look for when viewing would be great. The car has full service history and will have a new mot done which puts me at ease somewhat.

Thanks in advance, I'm viewing it later so any quick replies would be great

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

Post up in the appropriate area and someone will be along to help you out !! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha ...yes ive since re posted in the general discussion! It automatically posted here cos i chose to 'introduce myself', thanks

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
:cool:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hello You say it was fitted with a new engine, was this an alfa recon or from some other source. Check paper work and with garage that carried out the work.

Can't help with 1.6 problems,but check electrics aircon etc, all the window switches. Check the handling on a test drive.

Hope thats of some help

Most important of all if it doesn't feel right walk away.

Allan:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi M8,i would say with the engine having been replaced to make sure they fitted all new belts,tensioners and variator,check the electrics ie heater works all that stuff also when taking it out keep your eye on the temp gauge it should get to 90 then the fan will kick in,if the temp stays about 60 or lower then the temp sensor is knackered,not expensive but you can get them to replace it,Good Luck and i hope you find a cool bella!!!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'd only buy it on hearing a really 'good' reason for the engine change. If i suspected it was anything to do with neglect (we read about drivers who don't ever open thier bonnets!) I'd give it a mile-wide berth. After going to see it of course. Every one you see will increase your knowledge and help in the eventual decision.
final comment - mileage a little high for year, presumably reflected in price??? As the engine change should be - for me that reduces it's value rahter than enhances it. That may just be me.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
All the twin spark engines consume oil, so it is vital to keep an eye on this on a regular basis (weekly). If the engine replacement was as a result of oil starvation, be sure that this is not a mistake the owner then repeated with the new engine. Also check for suspension noise.

The wood only came with the Lusso trim level. As far as I am aware, the silver cars were available with all upholstry options, but the darker cloth/leathers seemed to be more popular, so you may not get much of a choice in the 2nd hand market.

Good luck with your purchase :cool: Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the quick replies, really helpful tips all round. Going to make a list of it all

Wrenched - the price is 2500 with a new MOT and 6 months tax. Do you think this is a fair price for a 2001 car with the new engine? For me i thought the new engine would increase the value as its only done 20 odd thousand on it. But I'm seeing it from your point of view, its only had two owners. Current one had it and fitted new engine. But previous one had it from new and presumably was clueless and assumed new cars don't need attention and mus have neglected it.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Sherief7

Not necessarily the case .Even well serviced cars can suffer a costly cambelt failure which can result in a new/recon engine required.

Even cars with a full Alfa history.See some other posts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay here is an update for you all

I would really appreciate if someone has the patience to read all of this and offer their advice. Please bear in mind I am not skilled or knowledgable about cars so any help would be great
. I do however take cars of cars I own and am keen to learn

I went to see the 156, all seemed well and i left a deposit. The interior and body work were in excellent condition and the tips from here and another site were a great help. The seller was an alfa enthusiast with 4 alfas of his own so all i was put at ease...BUT...

I've just found the following quotes regarding the new engine from the seller himself on another forum

"Just joined, really frustarted with my wifes, 156 1.6 Veloce 2001 156, only 13000 miles (new engine fitted last year), most probably teething problems, but car is pinking (like timing advanced too much), around 3500-4000 rpm under load, thought it was variator, but that looks and sounds fine, checked on WAD's computer, and they claim paprameters on both lambda sensors are out, but c'mon, I dont want to be ripped off, and car has had new engine fitted, any idea's or similar problems anybody???"...

..."This car is doing my nut in...I have been using shell optimax for 3 months, and also checked AFM and got one of those variable resistors to fool ECU to think car is still running cool, but pinking (pinging still there), I notice it more on every gearchange, and if you listen carefully with window open the noise is prominent at a constant 2500 rpm or less, but this car being a 1.6 is slightly underpowered and with the AC switched on (under load) can hear it a lot more louder. It is getting to a pout where I think the car engine will explode so I tend to drive this car with my fingers crossed on every long journey. repliable source seems to advise that the timing may have slipped a couple of teeth when the new engine was fitted hence the read out on the diagnostic computer being out of parameters for both lambda probes, I plugged in one of these cheap EOBD handheld jobbies and the read out was P1177 AND P1178 (open circuits on both sensors), but the cam belt timing fault still remains deep in my head and I will check this out in the next couple of days and will let you guys know the outcome, by the way, anyone interested in this car, as I will be selling it soon?"

The outcome was never shared. He does go on to ask where the MAF can be found though.

Now, at the risk of sounding stupid, I would like to know:

1) should i run a mile?
2) if it isn't a massive problem, how can i tell if its been solved with a satisfactory outcome
3) if not and i choose to go ahead with the buy, what problems are likely to happen and how much will it cost me

Sorry if my questions are naive, or if the post is too long

note to admin - I will post this as a seperate thread in case nobody is viewing this one anymore (as it's title was relevant yesterday)

thanks all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts