Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

New user here, just got back from a test drive of Giulietta 1.4 TCT. Awesome car, smooth transmission and very pleasant ride! I am now in the process of configuring my new toy, so I was wondering if you could help me out on this. I'm hesitating among the following options as I'm on a budget and can't afford all:

1) Heated + electric seats: No option to take just one, and the total goes up to 1200 €.

2) RadioNav vs. TomTom: GPS is very important for me, and I was always hoping to have it integrated in my car to make life easier (really don't like to remove and replace the thing every time!). Now looking at the price difference (~ 1400 €), I was wondering which one you guys suggest? Is the RadioNav any good (aside from being integrated) or is it even worse than TomTom for navigation? Is TomTom fully integrated (aside from physically) and controllable using voice/controls on the steering wheel? The dealer is suggesting me to take TomTom and forget about the Nav!

3) Bi-Xenon: 1000 €. Is it the case that Alfa headlights are good enough to skip the Xenon option?

4) Tissu vs. Half-leather vs. Full-leather sport: My wife doesn't like the full-leather (due to sweating in summer and being cold in winter), but if I get the pack including RadioNav, the full-leather sport option would come out the same price as half-leather! So I might try to convince her! What do you think on those? Should I skip RadioNav and stick with microfibre to save for other options? Also, another choice would be to skip the two and go for tissue to save and put up on other (e.g., above) options..?

So out of the four above, I'm gonna choose 2 (or at most 3 if it's a must!). Looking forward to your opinions :)

Finally, one observation: Don't you guys find the legroom and also the height in the back too small? I'm 180cm tall, and when adjusted the front seat for my height, my head was kind of touching the roof when I sat in the back and not so comfortable with the legs as well! Any workarounds on this? Can the rear seats be lowered?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
1. I'd take half leather.
2. I have the TomTom and it's voice operated, has a touch screen, is cheaper to update and fully B&M integrated. Besides, nobody's going to steal your Nav in Switzerland, right? ;) So, although the integrated one looks nicer, I'd go for TomTom.
3. Did not order them but might consider. Maybe someone else could help.
4. Normally I'd advise cloth, but the one in Giulietta is especially ugly, so see point 1 :).

Yopu can't lower the seats. You won't be travelling in the back anyway :D. If you sat in the one that had the sunroof, without it should be a bit more space.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I have the full leather, heated (not electric) seats and the RadioNAV.
I'm not certain if you can have heated seats without them being full leather (although that may have changed since I ordered mine)

RadioNAV is great because it's integrated into the car - both in looks and information displayed and has a big screen. Disadvantages: you can't take it with you, it's more expensive to buy and it's more expensive to update the maps.

I've also got parking sensors, which are useful if you have to get in and out of tight spaces a lot.

I have a dog, so having leather seats makes them easier to clean dirty paw marks off.

Of all the options I have, the heated seats would be the one I'd drop first, if I had to.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Disadvantages: you can't take it with you, it's more expensive to buy and it's more expensive to update the maps.
No touch screen and (I think) no voice control are as well.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I was just listing what I thought were disadvantages.

The lack of touch screen isn't a disadvantage in my opinion, as the screen is too far away from the driver to make it easy to use by touching it.
Yes, it lacks voice control, again, not a big issue for me as I find the input using the radio controls to be more than adequate.

Other advatages of it include how it displays radio, CD and other information, and I find its traffic management and routing options very easy to use (i.e. how it advises you of traffic problems on your route and options for getting round them) - I know with some portable units you have to pay an annual subscription to get that information.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yeah, displaying information (G and so on) is fun. And it looks nicer than TomTom. As far as I remember, voice guidance stops the music, which many users find annoying also. This is not a problem with TomTom.

True, LIVE in TT has to paid annually. First year is for free. And since it lacks TMC if it ends, you'll get no traffic information at all.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Only need a subscription with Tom Tom live, if you get a Garmin or any other unit with TMC it will re-route you with no charge, my Garmin does this as does our land rover onboard jobbie in the Disco.

I ordered mine with no integrated NAV, I am not typing in addresses with a wheel and buttons in this day and age!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only thing that continues to bug me about my lovely G is the lack of lumbar support adjustment with the half leather seats. To get this you have to go with the full leather/ electric option which at the time seemed too expensive but in retrospect I wish I had gone for.

I would definitely opt for rear parking sensors. Sat nav and bi-xeon I can manage perfectly well without but it's a personal thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have heated full leather (non-electric). It looks and feels great. It's not very cold in winter or hot in the summer due to being perforated. I do use the heating quite a bit (before the engine heats up the cabin).
The bi-xenons are very good, but I have not tried the regular bulbs. This is probably the most important option in my view (particularly up in the dark north).

I like the integrated nav, but I use it mainly for the radio/music display etc. more than for navigation personally. It is a little clunky to use, but I don't regret getting it.

Parking sensors are useful too as mentioned, particularly since they don't cost much.

Big brakes are fantastic, but require expensive 225/45 17" winter tyres.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies. It was of great help. Budget-wise, I guess for me TomTom would be the wise option, knowing that it's still supported through voice and key controls and browses music, etc., and has equal/better navigation than RadioNAV, and is also 1500 € cheaper. I'll try getting used to removing the device though! Also, I decided on half-leather seats as I like them as well and dropping the RadioNav would make the full leather option more expensive. Finally, I guess I'm gonna drop Xenon as well. The parking sensors were already in my options list, thanks for the comments on that.

The heated/electric seat option is still keeping my mind busy, since I have no choice but to choose either both for 1200 € or none. Any more opinions on that?

I'm gonna put the extra for not choosing the three above on the sport pack with 18" wheels (rather than 17"), and possibly red calipers! The more I think, the more I believe the aesthetic aspect of this car should rock the most!

Any other must-have options I might have missed? I'm gonna place my order by the end of the week :)

Oh and one more question: hesitating between Alfa Red and Alfa Metallic Red... biased towards Alfa Red a little :D Which one you prefer?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have red calipers and Rosso Alfa and opt for both :D. This colour is simply gorgeous! I'd also get aluminum kickplates, spare wheel and double radio tuner.
I also have Sport Pack and Visibility Pack, but don't know if you have them in Switzerland.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Do

Electric Adjusting Seats - priceless marriage saver
Half leather - best option, the microfibre is very supportive and easy to care for
Red Brakes - awesome stopping power (and I have had both JTDm2 170 on standard brakes and now a G QV on red brakes - red brakes win by a long way), if winter tyres are an issue, get them and be thankful :)
Parking sensors - simple, effective, cheap
At least one styling item (wing mirrors, window tint, etc) so you can point out something unique to friends!

Maybe

Bi-Xenons - only about 10% brighter than fitting NightBreakers or similar, but nicer pattern and the "swivel round corners" is fun to watch
TomTom fitting kit - nice, and the G-meter and boost gauge are entertaining on the new TomToms (much better price point than the fitted radionav
Bose stereo - not really £800 worth, but can sound really nice if you set it carefully and is a small improvement over the already excellent standard unit
Heated standard seats - good for lower back pain, otherwise ignore (some women call them "thrush incubators", which is worth bearing in mind)

Ignore

RadioNav - too expensive - just get a USB cable run from the glove box to the top box and run your own iPhone or TomTom in there

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys! Well studied the option and here's my final choice:
I decided for the full Sport Pack 18" (including red calipers, microfibre seats, aluminium dash, wing mirrors, sport suspension, etc :) ), the premium pack including park sensors, full visibility options and bi-xenon lights, heated seats, lumbar adjustment for the seats, Blue&Me with TomTom Navigation... And Alfa red for the color :) Satisfied with my choice now!

One more thing to have your opinion: Which 18" wheels you find sexier? I'm inclined towards the 5 hole design, though the spoke design is not bad either!

And just one more question about TomTom Nav: I saw the TomTom model at the dealer, it was TomTom Go 1005. Is this the most recent one with live traffic, music integration with USB,...? I saw a video of the recent TomTom device on youtube, it was amazing... just wanted to make sure this is the right device.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
TomTom fitting kit - nice, and the G-meter and boost gauge are entertaining on the new TomToms (much better price point than the fitted radionav
Which TomTom has the G-meter and boost gauge?!

Which 18" wheels you find sexier? I'm inclined towards the 5 hole design, though the spoke design is not bad either!
Spokes all the way without a doubt. Also get the dashboard panel in red and a gear knob in red. Looks VERY sexy :).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do

Electric Adjusting Seats - priceless marriage saver
Half leather - best option, the microfibre is very supportive and easy to care for
Red Brakes - awesome stopping power (and I have had both JTDm2 170 on standard brakes and now a G QV on red brakes - red brakes win by a long way), if winter tyres are an issue, get them and be thankful :)
Parking sensors - simple, effective, cheap
At least one styling item (wing mirrors, window tint, etc) so you can point out something unique to friends!

Maybe

Bi-Xenons - only about 10% brighter than fitting NightBreakers or similar, but nicer pattern and the "swivel round corners" is fun to watch
Bose stereo - not really £800 worth, but can sound really nice if you set it carefully and is a small improvement over the already excellent standard unit
Heated standard seats - good for lower back pain, otherwise ignore (some women call them "thrush incubators", which is worth bearing in mind)

Ignore

RadioNav - too expensive - just get a USB cable run from the glove box to the top box and run your own iPhone or TomTom in there
'thrush incubators' ... brilliant. Sounds like endangered species terminology :lol:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Can you get the double DIN radio in Poland? Interesting, its not an option here in UK with wheel on the right side of the car.
Sorry, forgot to answer - I meant double tuner - don't know what is it exactly, but radio perception is brilliant! Unit looks the same as the standard one.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Ah, diversity tuner, thought they all had that these days?

The Alfa Tom Tom that goes into the port talks to the car through the CAN bus and does the boost/g meter I think

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Didn't notice it in my TomTom and I had it updated this week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts