Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the 2 front tires on my GT could do with replacing soon, the back two still do have plenty of life yet (I really should have swapped the front with the back when I bought the car 6months ago!). But anyways, I'm not too sure what tyres to get next, there are 4 Dunlop sp sports on it now, in 225/45r17s. My one only complaint about the car is that the ride is alittle harsh, especially on any of the bumpy bad roads. Would anyone have any recommendations for a change in tyre size, or have any suggestions of tyres that they found were decent and good value? Would I get away with changing the size of the two front tyres now, and the rears later on? Cheapest I can find for the same tyres on it are from here Dunlop SP Sport 3000 A 225/45 R17 94 V XL, MFS Tyres » Oponeo.ie, my local tyre shop is looking €140 for each tyre (including fitting).

·
Registered
775 Posts
my car came with nexens. a mid price brand. I replaced the fronts with hankooks , but they don't seem to be much better than the nexens and are much more money. Some people on here swear by acceleras which are an inexpensive chinese brand that they say offers a better grip/wear /price ratio than the accepted quality brands. I might go back to nexens next time . I found pzero neros to wear too fast on my old 147.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Kumho KU31 sport are the best tyres I've had on any car in years (comparing to Eagle F1, T1R and Hankook RS and Michelin Pilot).

I've done about 10k miles on the fronts including a day at Mondello and they still great!

D

·
0 Posts
Mo4 how do they compare to the pilot sports? I've only ever been in mad cars with sports so would be good to hear what they are compared to normalish cars where tyres play an even bigger factor.

The best tyres I've used in recent years are the Bridgestone RE050A's have them on the 166 and the 156 and they where brilliant decent wearing considering the hammering they get off me and great in dry and wet very easy to know when they break loose.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I previously had Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas up front on the GT. 225/40 ZR18. My god they were grippy. One thing I noticed is that standing water clearance was not very good and furthermore I only got 13k kilometres out of them.

Recently I went cheaper and got Avon ZZ3s up front. Not as grippy as the Vredsteins by any means, but dry grip is decent enough. Wet grip is mediocre but fairly predictable. They are not too harsh either.

·
Administrator
87,304 Posts
there are 4 Dunlop sp sports on it now, in 225/45r17s. My one only complaint about the car is that the ride is alittle harsh, especially on any of the bumpy bad roads. Would anyone have any recommendations for a change in tyre size, or have any suggestions of tyres that they found were decent and good value? Would I get away with changing the size of the two front tyres now, and the rears later on? Cheapest I can find for the same tyres on it are from here Dunlop SP Sport 3000 A 225/45 R17 94 V XL, MFS Tyres » Oponeo.ie, my local tyre shop is looking €140 for each tyre (including fitting).

You are already running a slightly bigger tyre than the recommended 215/45 R17 although 225/45 R17 are listed as an alternative ( but only certain models ) so don't go any bigger.

Also it's not a recommended to run different size tyres even on different axles.

Have you tried Camskill & Eiretyres they are usually cheaper even after fitting :thumbs:

Also another vote for Bridgestone RE050 ( Directional ) or RE050A ( Asymmetric ) both are excellent although they have got a reputation for stiff sidewalls so possibly not the the most comfortable if that's your priority, however I'm very happy with them & I've had 5 or 6 sets now on the 147s.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, that's a great price for the the Pirrellis in Bray, I don't mind shopping online, but am abit busy these days so getting everything done in a local shop would suit me better! But the lovely looking thread pattern on the Vredsteins has me tempted ha!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, that's a great price for the the Pirrellis in Bray, I don't mind shopping online, but am abit busy these days so getting everything done in a local shop would suit me better! But the lovely looking thread pattern on the Vredsteins has me tempted ha!
Yeah the thread pattern is class. I think designed by Giugaro? designer of the 159... It has his name on the tyre anyways.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The best tyres I've used in recent years are the Bridgestone RE050A's have them on the 166 and the 156 and they where brilliant decent wearing considering the hammering they get off me and great in dry and wet very easy to know when they break loose.
I have to agree here with Damo...these came on my current car and although they wore quicker than previous tyres, they are far better in the wet with what I replaced them with (Falken FK452's)
The Falkens are good and keenly priced but I have found in the wet, I would not be as confident throwing it into a bend as I would have when I had the RE050A's

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, lovely Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas just ordered from Camskills! I was staying safe and was about to click order another two Dunlop sp sport3000, which are on it now, and were afew quid cheaper on eiretyres, but sure ya only live once!!

Will Gerry at TI autos be able to fit and balance the tires for me, as its due a service anyways, or if not, any recommendations for someone in the south Dublin/Wicklow area that will fit and balance them for me?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts