Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now in the market for a set of 4 tyres for my 2010 JTD Ti.
Replacing the OEM Pirelli Zero Nero GTs after just 40k.

Research so far (and comments on a local Australian forum) suggest the factory 235/40 19s are more expensive and better value can be had by fitting a 245/40 19s.
Locally there doesn't appear to be any issues but having said this the sample size is considerably smaller than in the UK.

2 questions...

(1) Any issues with running this size in the UK ???

(2) Locally we have a 4 for 3 offer on Continental tyres and the new Contact Sport 6 seem attractive.
My only concern his that most reports I read claim Continental are not as good wearing as some other brands, e.g. Michelin, Bridgestone, Good Year...

I've always been a bit of stickler for running correct sizes so hoping others can allay any fears.

Thanks to all in advance!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Now in the market for a set of 4 tyres for my 2010 JTD Ti.
Replacing the OEM Pirelli Zero Nero GTs after just 40k.

Research so far (and comments on a local Australian forum) suggest the factory 235/40 19s are more expensive and better value can be had by fitting a 245/40 19s.
Locally there doesn't appear to be any issues but having said this the sample size is considerably smaller than in the UK.

2 questions...

(1) Any issues with running this size in the UK ???

(2) Locally we have a 4 for 3 offer on Continental tyres and the new Contact Sport 6 seem attractive.
My only concern his that most reports I read claim Continental are not as good wearing as some other brands, e.g. Michelin, Bridgestone, Good Year...

I've always been a bit of stickler for running correct sizes so hoping others can allay any fears.

Thanks to all in advance!
I'm running 245 s as seemingly are lots of others without complaint.

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
If you got 40k out of a set of Pirelli Nero GT's, then that is a very long life.

I would be tempted to replace with the same if you are happy with other aspects of the performance.

You could probably get cheaper tyres, but most wouldn't last that long so would work out more expensive.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm running 245*40*19 Continental Winters on the Q4 and am about to fit the Continental 6 for Summer here next weekend! I've read the reviews about tyre wear but the 100% wet grip test result sold it for me. At the end of the day the contact patches are the only thing that keeps you on the road and also allows better braking in the wet and dry. if they wear quicker I can live with that, want to enjoy driving the Alfa!
Guy

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Just remember that using an incorrect tyre size may invalidate your insurance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running 245*40*19 Continental Winters on the Q4 and am about to fit the Continental 6 for Summer here next weekend! I've read the reviews about tyre wear but the 100% wet grip test result sold it for me. At the end of the day the contact patches are the only thing that keeps you on the road and also allows better braking in the wet and dry. if they wear quicker I can live with that, want to enjoy driving the Alfa!
Guy
To SamRemo78... I hear you re: contact patches and wet weather. Only thing is down our way it doesn't rain as much as it use to when I was growing up. Something called climate change perhaps? I guess my remapped 159s not helping however :).

·
Registered
388 Posts
40K out of a set of performance tyres?? That's fantastic!

Tyres are a very subjective topic, what I like you may not. That said, if you like the Neros then consider Michelin Pilot Super Sports - I put them on mine recently and they're the best road tyres I've ever used. Superb grip with loads of feedback.

If you want to use 245 section then I'd suggest you reduce the aspect ratio accordingly, otherwise you could alter the gearing enough to make the speedo/computer inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It's always subjective when you put on a brand new set of tyres - They all seem fantastic.
When you are down to 2mm and the tyre has become quite brittle with excessive noise and limited water clearance even a cheap Chinese tyre appears transformational.
So you do have to consult 'tyre tests' to see real data on tyres at the same point in their life. For me the 'lane change swerve' is the most critical thing a tyre has to perform. It's almost impossible to stabilise a car that has loaded and unloaded the four tyres unevenly. So that's what I look for and at the moment I'm using P Zero Nero.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
40,000 from Pirelli is amazing. With that mileage use the same again - why wouldn't you?.

My wife has a mapped 2.4 and doesn't get more than 15,000 from anything including Michelin.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd probably go the Pirelli's again but the Zero Nero GTs in a 235 not available for at least another 3 months I've been told. Likely 6 months I'd say. No idea why and tyre dealers have no idea. Some have speculated that they are replacing the Zero Nero GT? I'll need them before that.

I can get the P Zero in a 245 but am leaning to the Continentals with the 4 for 3 offer. At $325 AUD a tyre that's $975 for a set of 4 for the latest Conti Contact Sport 6s. If they don't "go the distance" then I can always revert to the Pirelli's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts