Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question (I hope:lol:)
I need to put some new tyres on my SW (still have the budget set that were on when I bought it)....what are people's thoughts?
The car doesn't do much motorway driving and yearly mileage is quite low, but with 2 kids in the back, along the b-roads, I want something that grips/handles well and won't slide off the road.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
What is your tyre size?

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Kumho Ecsta KU31s, cheap-ish and brilliant grip, wear well and don't make too much noise :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
There are 9 answers to this question. Just wait and see.

I would suggest the Toyo Proxes CF1. I don't normally recommend Toyo, but as your annual mileage is low, there is no point buying a premium tyre which will last longer. As the tyre becomes older, the rubber looses it's properties and will not grip as well. For this reason, best advice is to always put the new rubber on the rear, and rotate the original rear to the front. That way none of the tyres are very old, and hopefully, the best tyres are always on the rear (provided you don't buy rubbish).
I don't know about the Kumhos, but previous experience of other Kumhos, not Ecstas, has showed a middling tyre at best. The NCT5s are geared more towards quiteness and smooth ride as well as longevity. The Toyo CF1 is a smooth riding tyre (which the 156 needs), is good handling and offers decent grip (better than NCT5 from my experience) but they wear a little quicker. They are cheaper too.

The assymetric tread pattern allows the tyres to be fitted to rotated to minimise wear patterns to maximise tyre life. A unidirectional tyre like the NCT5 can also be rotated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can stay on the road with 2 kumho ecstas up front and a falken and a random on the rear (This is what was on it when I got it 4 and a half months ago and I havn't got round to getting new tyres yet). If you care about your children you'll buy a good tyre. Hopefully.

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
Falken FK-452's are my current choice. Great grip and are pretty inexpensive.

I also Rate NCT-5 Goodyears. They grip 90% as well as the GSD3's but last about 3 times as long.

·
Registered
748 Posts
" If you care about your children you'll buy a good tyre. Hopefully. "

Wrong thinking - this implies driving to the limits, and if you do this on cheaper tyres you risk accident.

Should be:

" If you care about your children you'll drive responsibly. Hopefully. "

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
P-zero nero's.

The kuhmo's are really bad in the wet.

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
" If you care about your children you'll buy a good tyre. Hopefully. "

Wrong thinking - this implies driving to the limits, and if you do this on cheaper tyres you risk accident.

Should be:

" If you care about your children you'll drive responsibly. Hopefully. "
Not nessesarily...
You can be driving along at a perfectly legal 70mph and have to do an emergency stop. The choice between cheapo tyres and decent rubber may well save your of your childrens life.

Just because you drive responsibly doesn't mean you won't need to stop in a hurry. :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'd go further and say enthusiastic driving encourages deliberate thoght in the driving process. I've had more nearlies or had to use the brakes harder than should be needed whilst in cruise mode following the other sheep. Driving with vigor encourages consciencous thought and better perception.

For that kind of driving, you need a good handling tyre which has good grip, yet gives early warning of the grip being exceeded, good breakaway and recovery characteristics and most improtantly, good feedback to ensure you don't find yourself in one of the previous circumstances.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
For that kind of driving, you need a good handling tyre which has good grip, yet gives early warning of the grip being exceeded, good breakaway and recovery characteristics and most improtantly, good feedback to ensure you don't find yourself in one of the previous circumstances.
And on that note, don't ever get p-zero rosso's. :eek:

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
P-zero nero's.

The kuhmo's are really bad in the wet.
Never had this experience with the Kuhmos, I'm on my 7th and 8th Kuhmo tyre now on the rear of my V6, they are far better than the Dunlop SP Sport 3000s they replaced. I've also had 2 Kuhmos on the rear of my JTD and 4 kuhmos on the front, no complaints whatsoever, other than the fronts only lasted 10,000 miles. But that was a remapped 10v and I drove it hard, so horses for courses really. Grip in the wet was fine, I could corner much faster in that JTD than I could in my V6 on the tyres it came on, the front would just completely lose it in the wet. I had the opportunity to buy 4 part-worn Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas which I'm using on the front of the V6, these are good as well but more expensive that the Kuhmo's, I'm going to rotate my wheels front to back in a few thousand miles, and see what it does to the handling, increasing/decreasing understeer and oversteer, I'll report back when I do :)

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
I don't think I would buy the Kumho's. They are probably a great tyre but I am happy with the Falkens so I will buy them again.

They grip noticeably better than Toyo's and a similar amount to Goodyears GSD3's but they last quite a lot longer than either.

My front 2 have done 8,500 miles on my car and are about half worn. Not bad considering the amount of power they have to handle. :rolleyes:

My TVR had Bridgestone Potenza S03's on it. The grip was massive, but when it let go it just let go all of a sudden, which was not ideal.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clarify...I do drive responsibly with my kids in the back (well all the time actually, but especially so with the kids;) )....but at the same time, the unexpected can occur and I would rather it occurred on a good set of tyres rather than on something taken off a wheelbarrow.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
I don't think I would buy the Kumho's. They are probably a great tyre but I am happy with the Falkens so I will buy them again.
Thats the same thing I think with the Kumhos, they're a good cheap tyre, I try more expensive ones and don't notice any benefit, so end up back with the Kumhos. I imagine the Falkens are very similar.

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
Thats the same thing I think with the Kumhos, they're a good cheap tyre, I try more expensive ones and don't notice any benefit, so end up back with the Kumhos. I imagine the Falkens are very similar.
Thay probably are pretty similar. I think once you find soemthing that you're happy with, then there is no point changing.

I was very dissapointed with the toyo T1R fitted to my Nissan though. They are supposed to be really good if you believe the hype, but IMO thay are average. They were particularly bad in standing water.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the T1-R either, but the CF-1 seem to work well on a non sportpack 156.

I tried Falken ZE502s years ago on my Giulietta and was distinctly underwhelmed. I appreciate they likely have nothing in common with the FK452s, but they certainly performed nothing like as advertised. It put me off Falkens, and I've seen only a moderate improvement with a later type of Falken.

I think the GSD3s are hugely better than NCT5s. Perhaps the cornering speeds are just 10% quicker, but they feel leagues ahead to me, and comparable with any other UHP tyre. I know of a written off 155 which had a major oversteer off the road although it had never oversteered before. GSD3s on the front, and NCT5s on the rear. All fitted 3 days earlier. The pressures were correct.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas should have the Kumhos all over the place and armfuls of oversteer (or perhaps not being a V6?:confused: ) I wouldn't like to say yet, but it sounds as though the much lauded Sessantas are nothing to shout about, and/or the Kumhos really are quite good.

We all have our preferences for our experiences, and I'm sure car setup and driving style play their part too. The choice is yours.;)

BTW, it doesn't matter if it is SO2s or SO3s on a TVR. From my experience, the Chim lets go pretty quickly- only slightly more user-friendly than the hardcore Griff;)

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas should have the Kumhos all over the place and armfuls of oversteer (or perhaps not being a V6?:confused: ) I wouldn't like to say yet, but it sounds as though the much lauded Sessantas are nothing to shout about, and/or the Kumhos really are quite good.

We all have our preferences for our experiences, and I'm sure car setup and driving style play their part too. The choice is yours.;)
In the dry the Vredesteins don't seem to feel better than the Kumhos. But for the standing water I encountered on the M1, they were fantastic! :)

Once I rotate the tyres I'll see if the car feels more understeery, or more oversteery than before, that should give an indication as to what is the better tyre. The car is pretty neutral handling in the dry, does understeer a touch in the wet but its so easy to lose the back end as the suspension doesn't absorb ruts in the road, you end up losing tyre contact with the ground and then go into a slide if you meet a bump mid corner.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You take care with that V6. It's pretty special:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts