Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting some of these Acceleras on my 59 plate 2.0JTDM Ti 159 - Accelera Tyres / Car / Accelera Phi - 235/40 R19 96Y XL TL Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 72dB Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 19" R19" - 235/40/19, 235/40R19

Being a bit of a n00b in the car dept, apologies in advance for stupid questions, but:

- Are these suitable for my car? They are replacing 235/40/19 so I guess so.
- If I buy just the tyres, how best to go about getting them fitted; do I just rock up at a tyre place and say "Can you fit these please?" Get them delivered to the tyre place, or what?

thing is, they're here for <£50 and the few tyre places round here (SE9) that can find them are quoting me between £70 and £108 a corner for Acceleras (don't know what model exactly).

Any advice gratefully receive (unless it's to ***** about why I'm not buying Dunlop or something, per loads of other threads on here. ;-) )

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
A year or so ago they were the only game in town for cheapest tyres (everything else was over £200). Now there are quite a few half decent ones available that do well in reviews for reasonable money.

Nanking AS1 £80 (similar quality to acceleras)

Nexen N8000 £85 (good reviews from independent tests)

Uniroyal rain sport £110

Yokohama advan sports £112

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti £115

Pirelli pzero £120

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have litterally JUST signed for a set of 225/50 17 98W for her 2.4, will be getting them fitted on friday. I rate acceleras, had them on a Cinquecento & Stilo, currently have them on my Fiat Coupe. i dont drive particularly hard (although do have moments) and ive not met the wrong side of a ditch yet.

dry grip is more than good enough, wet grip is perfectly fine if you're not on the raggedy edge of physics.

They're a perfectly acceptable replacement tyre. the only time i have had 'scary' moments with them is going into wet roundabouts in a spritely manor and hitting diesel, but it would have been equally as scary on a set of p-zeros.

if pushing particularly hard in the dry you will get 'plenty' of warning before they let go unlike some pirellis or michelins. i dont drive the 159 particularly hard anyway. i tried once and it was a very unnerving experience but thats more due to the suspension set up and road surfaces than tyre choice.

get em bought and get em on ;)

Reactions: no grip

·
Registered
151 Posts
I only ever had two models of tyre on my 159 TI's 19" wheels;

1. ContiSport Contact 3's on which I covered about 45,000 miles on (two sets).

2. Pirelli P-Zero Nero's on which I did the next 50,000 miles on (third set was fitted by then..).

I can say the Pirelli's were better by a country mile on this car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
in addition to my earlier post, the set of PHI-Rs that turned up today a labelled wrong on the camskill site... the tyre label states
Fuel: C (Camskill site lists as F)
Wet: C
Noise: 72dB

it might be worth double checking

based off these euro ratings, you'd not be gaining anything by spending £130 a corner on a set of Bridgestone Potenzas. :paranoid:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Do I just order them and take them to a tyre garage?
ring to confirm first, some places wont do it some will... usually tyre fitting places like ATS and Britannia frown upon it, because they want to sell you the tyres, most garages or alfa indies dont have any problem with it at all

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
ring to confirm first, some places wont do it some will... usually tyre fitting places like ATS and Britannia frown upon it, because they want to sell you the tyres, most garages or alfa indies dont have any problem with it at all
There is the small issue of who is at fault if there is a problem with the tyre.
The tyre fitter.
or
The tyre supplier.

Usually the fitter and the supplier are the same, but if you supply your own tyres that isn't the case.
Same reason many garages won't fit parts sourced by the customer.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Thanks everyone,

That answers one of the questions... I think. :)

Do I just order them and take them to a tyre garage?
Use this to find a garage local to you: Blackcircles.com - The UK's Largest Independent Garage Network
It's what I did.
If they fit customer's tyres bought from one website, they'll fit them from another as well.
Mine were bought from Camskill, they're practically giving them away or were until very recently.
Nowt wrong with 19'' Acceleras on my Spider.

Reactions: richydraper

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is the small issue of who is at fault if there is a problem with the tyre.
The tyre fitter.
or
The tyre supplier.

Usually the fitter and the supplier are the same, but if you supply your own tyres that isn't the case.
Same reason many garages won't fit parts sourced by the customer.
Good point, thanks.

And cheers all for the responses. Good to have some learned opinions on all of this. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I only ever had two models of tyre on my 159 TI's 19" wheels;

1. ContiSport Contact 3's on which I covered about 45,000 miles on (two sets).

2. Pirelli P-Zero Nero's on which I did the next 50,000 miles on (third set was fitted by then..).

I can say the Pirelli's were better by a country mile on this car.
Quality. I've had both (CSC3s on Benz at 75000km on the front) and liked them, but only 26000km on PZero Nero 19 inch.

If you are going to operate a Ti then give it the tyres it deserves -- and conform to the 96Y+ rating for the 1750: Pirelli / Michelin / Continental / Goodyear. I love my Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetric 2s in 245/40/19; made in Germany as OE for Porsche and massive dry /wet grip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts