Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had 4 shiney new Toyo Proxes TR1s put on. I read that they take a while to bed in, but oh what an understatement!

Pottering SLOWLY around a wet roundabout, was quiet thankfully, the back end overtook the front! I steered to correct this but the fronts just slid aswell.

When I stopped moving, I pointed it back in the right direction, and, even more slowly, drove home!

Toyo tyres are dangerous when new. Will take it out again later when it has dried off and will try to scrub the surface a little. The tread is like patent leather. Completely smooth.

Wear will improve this, but it was a bit scary!

Andy

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
All tyres are very slippery when new, especially in the rain, it is the releasing agent used to get them out of the mould.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'd suggest you've just been unlucky enough to have new tyres fitted when the roads are already lethal, I was having 'grip issues' driving home last night because of the amount of salt & crap they've covered the roads with in the last few days :(

The fitting centre should have warned you to take it extra slow, as well as the release compound there could have been any combination of grease, tyre soap, or who knows what, on the tread of the tyre from the fitters hands. It takes a good few miles to wear all this stuff off in dry conditions, it'll probably take most of the weekend to clear with the roads as they are now.

I've had 2 full sets of T1R's on my 147, and they're no better or worse than any other brand when new, just remember to take it easy for a while.

·
Administrator
46,137 Posts
I'd bet that there was oil on the roundabout. Combined with the protective surface on the tyres, could be a problem!
I never had any problems with the two sets of T1-R's I've had though, just take it reasonably easy to start with.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Rev it to 5000 rpm in 1st and drop the clutch. That'll bed the fronts in ;) :lol:

Seriously, all tyres are cack when new and take a while to bed in. That r/b does sound as if it had derv on it though :eek:

Another thing to watch with tyres is after you've glossed them up with Armourall or the likes. Can be scary if you lean on them to soon afterwards :eek:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Squadrone Rosso said:
Another thing to watch with tyres is after you've glossed them up with Armourall or the likes. Can be scary if you lean on them to soon afterwards :eek:
An even better idea is not to use anything slippery on your tyres at all.
I've never understood the idea of waxing your tyres...

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I had a set of Toyo Proxes TR1s on the front of mine and was very disappointed with their wet weather performance, they were worst on damp surfaces especially when pulling away from standing still. I guess the Toyo's have a hard compound as they were fantastic on warm dry asphalt. I had some Uniroyal rainmasters on next and they were fantastic in the wet but did not wear well. I now have four new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's and they seem the best for all round conditions, although I nearly went for Pirelli PZero Nero's but got a great deal on the Goodyear’s (£360 for 4, fitted, balanced & tracked).

·
Registered
38,275 Posts
Apparently all tyres take around 500 miles to bed in. It isn't just the silicone release agen that needs to come off either. It takes a while for the sidewalls to loosen up and become supple apparently. They are very stiff when new but if you look at a used tyre they get much softer. Obviously if the sidewall is still stiff the tread may not be able to keep in full contact with the road all the time.

I certainly wouldn't put it down to the Toyo's being crap, as they aren't. ;)

There is a lot of salty crap on the road too which doesn't help. Give it a blast in the dry.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
David C said:
An even better idea is not to use anything slippery on your tyres at all.
I've never understood the idea of waxing your tyres...
Just the sidewalls but a bit always gets on the tread:eek: Looks nice though:cool:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I think that also, the tyres need to "scrub-in" to the camber angle that the car is running too. Also, some tyre places grossly over-inflate them when they first put them on to try to make them seat well against the wheel rim. It might be worth checking the pressures. I agree with everyone else's comments about them not being that good straight "out of the box" but I've had Toyos on other cars and they've not been bad. Maybe, as has been suggested, a bit of diesel on that roundabout?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Any new tyre is ridiculously slippy for about 20 miles (YMMV), after that point they still take time to bed in, but aren't ludicrously dangerous. The coating rubs off very quickly, perhaps more slowly in very slippy conditions.
Its the bead seating that takes time, so thrashing new tyres will just prematurely shorten their life.

To be honest I don't understand why tyre shop folk don;t give everybody a warning going out their gates to brake gently and early for a few days..

·
Administrator
23,075 Posts
I have never had a problem with any make from budget to premium.

I do tend to drive like a wuss for 100 miles but it pays back in dividends later. Just put Dunlops on the front of the GTV - drove carefully as stated for 100 miles - but the grip seemed solid from the start.

Paul.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Chill said:
I had a set of Toyo Proxes TR1s on the front of mine and was very disappointed with their wet weather performance, they were worst on damp surfaces especially when pulling away from standing still. I guess the Toyo's have a hard compound as they were fantastic on warm dry asphalt.
Certainly not my experience, I have found the T1-Rs to be absolutely fantastic, wet or dry, best tyres I have ever used, far better than the Continental SC2s they replaced.
By the way, from horrible personal experience, NEVER fit new tyres to the front!

·
Administrator
46,137 Posts
sensingsys said:
Certainly not my experience, I have found the T1-Rs to be absolutely fantastic, wet or dry
I'd agree with that too. I'm very surprised at just how hard I can throw the car into a corner on slippy surfaces with no complaint from the tyres. Although I don't do it anyway, because I'm a wuss.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between the T1-R and the T1-S? I've got the Ss (which I love) on my Super, but whenever I go to online tyre places they only seem to offer the T1-R.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The T1-R replaced the T1-S

1 - 20 of 21 Posts