Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lovely GT is sat on my drive, feeling lonely and neglected.

Reason being that I have come to work on my lovely new ride!

A Giant Seek 2 "Urban" bike. 27 gears, hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, alloy frame and forks, matt white frame....... It absolutely fantastic!

Bought the bike via our works Cycle To Work Scheme, saving all tax and NI on the price of the bike, making it about 55% of the original price, and paid direct from salaries over 12 months. A bargain too good to miss.

Journey to work was 8.8 miles one way. Did it in 45 mins exactly. I was pretty cautious as it was my 1st trip to work and the roads were a bit on the icy side.
So that is 15 mins longer journey time than the drive in, but, if the return is 45 mins, then I should make it home 15 mins quicker! And burning approx 700 calories on the two journeys.

Bonza.

If you are thinking of a commute/road bike, take a look at one of these, brilliant.

I would post a photo of my bike in the office, but this thread doesn't allow photo uploads.....grrr.....

This is the one:

Redirect Notice

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It certainly is a good scheme.

Plan on doing approx 4-8 commutes per month. Anything over 4 and the bike is making me money in the saved diesel and mileage on the GT. So everyones a winner!

Amazes me how blind most drivers are to cyclists though. I have flashing LED lights, luminous yellow over jacket, reflectors everywhere and still some drivers look through you. I just have to keep totally alert and check every junction.
The worst ones are van and flat bed transit drivers! Nearly taken out by several of each this morning.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Bought myself a new bike (not as posh as yours) having not ridden for years :D - first trip out was a tad wobbly to say the least :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couldn't feel my face after the first mile, but soon got in the flow. Was wearing shorts as well......mad.

Took me 40 mins to get home. Well chuffed.
Aiming to do it again on Thursday. The positively luxurious ride of the GT tomorrow. And its not often I can say that!

K

·
0 Posts
I haven't ventured out on my bike in about 12 months.

I used to cycle about 8 miles to work and back a couple of times a week. I might try again when it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its pretty exhilarating in the cold I can tell you! Makes you pedal faster.

I wore shorts this morning, about -2 degrees C. Was fine as the muscle heat kept my legs warm. My face on the other hand was FREEZING!

V

·
0 Posts
YOU WORE SHORTS IN -2C?!! :lol:

Well, I guess it'll sort out your sperm count. You may lose your delivery system though.

May I recommend a pair of these? (I made it a picture of young ladies, I thought it might encourage you to buy some).

V

·
0 Posts
Also, you're likely to pull a muscle or get tendinitis if you do that regularly in cold weather.

-2C...Jeez, just the thought of that is making me shudder! :lol:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't do the MTB thing. Road biking has always been my fave.

Speed and distance, can't be beaten for me.

I wear lycra under shorts, to the knee and normal shorts over the top.
Enjoyed the challenge and the journey. Sailed through traffic jams!

Ye may mock, but I am enjoying it.

Next commute, Thursday! Probably raining.........

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
You don't mention a helmet in your description of your riding gear - an essential piece of kit. I was taken off by a UPS van a couple of years ago and broke my elbow. I hadn't realised that my head had touched the ground until I took my helmet off and found that it was split up the side and had an imprint of the tarmac. I don't venture out without at least track mitts either - gravel rash on your palms - nasty.

Nice looking machine btw.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Always, always wear a helmet!

Had a nasty incident when I was 19. Coming down Pembroke Dock High St after work, somebody opened a car door as I was on them, went over the top, landed on my left shoulder and head. Spent the next 48 hours unconscious in hospital! Not a fun experience.

So a helmet is the first thing to go on and the last thing to come off.

Thanks for the comment about the bike, it is very good. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts