Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all, :byebye:

Name is Sunny living in West side of London and recently fallen in love with Mito and really want to get one.

Just one question what the difference with model lines? Lusso, Veloce and Turismo? I tired looking on the interweb but only models come up are the new face lift ones. I do like Veloce model with chrome mirrors.

I will be part-ex my Irmscher MK4 Vauxhall Astra Turbo convertible and budget I have will be £4k, should I go for Diesel or Petrol? also any known issues? (I am going through the main tread with all issues for Mito's)

Current car is Mercedes C250 2013 Coupe in petrol.

Sunny.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Good morning all, :byebye:

Name is Sunny living in West side of London and recently fallen in love with Mito and really want to get one.

Just one question what the difference with model lines? Lusso, Veloce and Turismo? I tired looking on the interweb but only models come up are the new face lift ones. I do like Veloce model with chrome mirrors.

I will be part-ex my Irmscher MK4 Vauxhall Astra Turbo convertible and budget I have will be £4k, should I go for Diesel or Petrol? also any known issues? (I am going through the main tread with all issues for Mito's)

Current car is Mercedes C250 2013 Coupe in petrol.

Sunny.
This may not be the definitive list but...

Turismo is the base model with wheel trims, but has AC/electric windows e.t.c
Lusso normally has different wheels, chrome trim on the rubbers and light surrounds but body coloured wing mirrors (you can buy the genuine chrome wing mirror covers from sellers on ebay for about £35)
Veloce is the kitted out one with 17" wheels, painted callipers, spoiler, sports rear bumper and light surrounds / mirrors in satin and inside I think white dials, the blue and me system and different seats.

The 1.3 diesel is generally seen as underpowered, the 1.6 more spritely but noisy.

The 1.4 petrols are the best options imo unless you do 15-20k miles P/A. Loads of options:

1.4 78bhp - Underpowered and no DNA
1.4 95bhp - Not quick but not overly slow
1.4 105bhp - Multiair unit - Watch out a little with these, they are very oil sensitive and the multiair units can fail. If it sounds overly tappety...move on.
1.4 turbos (120, 135, 155) - These are probably the best option if you want a bit of speed, usual story with the multiair versions and the 6 speed on the 155 bhp is known to be troublesome.

Otherwise they are quite strong little cars.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The 6 speed box on the 155bhp, which V6Alfisti refers to, is the M32 - coming from the Vauxhall world you might be aware of the box :). If you were to buy a 155bhp version and the gearbox bearings became noisy then if you shop around it seems there are places dotted around which can do a bearing replacement in-situ on the m32 for around £500 (and one place in Halifax that seems to do it for £300). So it's inconvenient if it happens, but not financially ruinous.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got a 155bhp petrol veloce and I love it , great fun to drive and look at. Picked mine up with 39,000, FSH for 4K a few months back, so your budget should be okay.

Don't see why anyone would want a diesel unless they do lots of miles!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice people, Veloce is the one to go for. I guess petrol is better than diesel as your all saying?:alien:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The thing with the M32 gearbox is that even if you change the bearings they will need doing again in another 30k miles or so. The engine is very strong though but hampered by the DNA system (in my opinion). Ideally you need the engine of D with the steering of N but apparently thats not possible!

Mines going at the weekend..not sad to see the back of it to be honest!

·
Registered
344 Posts
The thing with the M32 gearbox is that even if you change the bearings they will need doing again in another 30k miles or so.
There are M32 boxes which have done more than double the mileage on original bearings so I don't think that's necessarily true. I'd be interested to know if any that have failed after a rebuild had their shimming checked (and redone if necessary) when they were rebuilt.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
There are also M32 boxes that have failed at under 20k miles. Mine went at 65k. There will no doubt be ones that are fine as well although my research tends to indicate that it'll not be if it fails but when.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Rockhopper...

I wasn't disagreeing that the box has a bit of a reputation (which it deserves - its problem rate appears higher than many other gearboxes) - just taking issue with the claim that if you have a rebuild they will need redoing in 30k. Sure, it could need redoing (as some people have had that happen), but there's also a good chance the gearbox will last a lot longer (anecdotally with decent oil and also changing the oil from time to time, and potentially if a re-shim is done during the rebuild if the box's original shimming is excessive). Also you can say "not if it fails but when" about many components on cars! Anyway if mine goes in 30k I'll let you know so you can point and laugh at me :)

With your comment on "Ideally you need the engine of D with the steering of N but apparently thats not possible!" - did you ever test drive a 135 for comparison as they supposedly improved the steering electronics in it? I did test drive both when I was looking at Mitos, but not enough to get a feel for the difference (plus I'd come from Lotus ownership so almost everything feels a bit artificial and disconnected from the road in comparison).

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Hi, i wasn't intending to be argumentative :) Just rather fed up with my MitO owning experience and car makers washing their hands of inherent fault. I also have a Ducati that has rocker problems - Ducati have revised the part number 17 times but refuse to admit there is an issue!

I've never driven a 135 but I got used to the steering in mine in D

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Hi, i wasn't intending to be argumentative :) Just rather fed up with my MitO owning experience and car makers washing their hands of inherent fault. I also have a Ducati that has rocker problems - Ducati have revised the part number 17 times but refuse to admit there is an issue!

I've never driven a 135 but I got used to the steering in mine in D
What are you moving into?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Well we need an auto so its a 2012 Ford Focus 2.0 163hp Diesel Powershift Titanium X with every toy imaginable fitted!

Silly I know but i love the auto headlights and wipers fitted to the MiTo and there are not so many cheaper cars that have them fitted. Mini's and so on have them as options but they are standard on the Titanium Fords.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts