Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm Dave and new to the forum, as I bought a 164 24v Cloverleaf today.
It needs a fair bit of work, big ends knocking, complete paint job needed and a general tidy up as the car has stood in a garage for 4 years. However, it has full service history and all electrics work etc. And I only paid £200.

I will be asking lots of questions!

All the best

Dave

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Welcome at AO Dave,

While you are going to be at it over here, post some pics as well.

ciao
Joost

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joost

I'll will photo every stage of the 'project' so I can look back one day and convince myself where the money went! although I will do all the work, including painting.

Dave

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Would love to see the pics as you progress. Let's hope you do ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All

Thanks for the welcome.
I will send photo's of the car now within the next few days. I'll keep you posted with progress. It maybe a bit slow, as I do some rallying in a Volvo T5, so I'll need to split the time up between working on each car.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Hi, Sounds like a big job but should be well worth it in the end.. :) I know how satisfying restoring a car can be.. Good luck..

:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi quattrothedog

I starting staging rally a few years ago wuth a Talbot Sunbeam. Blew the engine up and then spent over £10,000 on a 2litre 16v Vauxhall engine and then got fed upwith repairing chassis rails after every little knock.
I drove my brother ex police T5 S70 and was impressed with the whole car. I then decided to build a tarmac stage car using a 149,000 mile ex police T5. It took about 6 months to build, but still needs developement.
It has a weld in triangulated cage, all stripped interior, Leda adjustable suspension (this is the dogs, the best suspension about for not much money) and a chip remap. it has a moderate LSD which is the best thing on the car. It's suprising how good it puts all (bear ni mind I have to use a turbo intake restrictor to meet regs) 275BHP down, even in the wet. Although I use moulded slick tyres. best result to date is 9th overal with the top five cars being ex works WRC etc. I beat every scooby and cosworth (that felt good!). i'll keep you post with future events. It does sound like a UR Quattro when on full boost (1.25 bar)

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Lynn
It will be fun to restore a car again. Rallying is great but expensive, so I can't wait to strip the Alfa and rebuild it. I did restore a lotus Cortina years but, and hope I can get the Alfa done soon.
Whilst the engine is out, I may do a bit of fiddling. I'll post some photo's of the big end shells, as there are completely ovalled.
I'll post photo's next week of it as I bought it. Although can some let me know the best way to post photo's,as I'm too lazy to read the forum to find out!
Thanks
Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts