Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, as instructed I'm introducing myself. Just found the site today.

I live in Taplow and drive a 53 plate 156 GTA. My 7 year old calls her Romela, after her year 1 teacher and as she explained to me that Romeo sounds like Romela daddy, and the name stuck!

Hopefully I will be able to get good advice, especially as at the moment she's making a funny rasping noise at 3k rpm as well as overheating in this oppressive heat. Any body else suffering with this problem.

I think the rasping noise might be that she's very low on oil as well as in need of a service. Hence my looking on the web for the best oil and found this site.

Take care

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Romela, New here too but just wondering if the rasping was possibly exhaust problem. I have heard of the heat shield at the manifold coming loose and rattling, also exhaust baffles make a rasping noise if they come loose in the box. neither of these is a terminal problem but if its coming from within the engine as in a rattling rather than rasping I would stop driving it now and have it looked at before it ends in tears. I hope I am not the bringer of doom and it just the forementioned bit of tin on the manifold :). Forgot to say that mine runs a bit hotter at the moment but not over heating point. May be worth a fluid system check of levels and maybe a new expansion bottle cap.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Hey, welcome! I'm just down the road from you in Cookham. Will keep an eye out and give you a wave! There's seperate threads for GTAs which are full of useful advice. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yes, check you oil & water every week, even if it's just to see that work of art under the bonnet.:cool:
Photos would be great.
Cheers
Stu:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for your comments,

Jon I'll keep my eyes open and wave back! Have seen the separate thread for the Alfa Wave!

Blackalafa Thanks for your post, very useful, the noise is definately coming from the engine, although it was below minimum when I checked the oil and so topped up, had to use Shell Helix Advance 5/40, as it was yesterday evening and I couldn't get any Selenia Racing oil. The noise seems to have abated, but haven't done a distant length in her yet, but as I said she is due a 48k service.

Will get the coolant checked on Monday, although the level looks okay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts