Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my names Andy & as far as the 164/166 which is better debat then I've owned one of each & I personally prefer the 166 because I bought the 2.5 V6 24v & just love the sound of it!!, but I wouldn't knock the performance of the 164 twin spark :D

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how to open a 166 bonnet after the cable has snapped, the local Alfa dealer has kindly quoted £220 :eek: to do it for me!!!!!!

Thanks in advance
Andy.

·
Super Moderator
44,928 Posts
Have you tried shining a torch through the grille? You might be able to make out the catch, and pull it with pliers or something?

V

·
0 Posts
Welcome m8, £220 would be cheaper to get a tin opener and 2nd hand bonnet:)

must be away to get in behind from below?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the welcome!!
I have managed to open the bonnet!!!:D & will be offering a "Alfa 166 Bonnet opening Service" for a mere £65 LOL!!!
Took me 2 hrs & chisel, one long Philips screwdriver, a 10 mm socket with a long extender & about 50 + expletives.
Seized is any understatement!!
I'll have to purchase a replacement cable from my local Alfa Mortgage Centre, but now l know how to do it I can proudly annouce my transformation from Padawan to Alfa Jedi :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
keep going like this and you will soon be a master on the Alfa council

"the force is strong in this one"

·
Administrator
8,045 Posts
Good news towards the end of a thread, thats all ways nice to read. Well, PLEASE make sure you check the alignment on the catch, is it worth fixing a new one in? Especially if you have hammered and forced it? You will still be pounds up!

Welcome again

AO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Master Alfa Jedi, this Padawan will not be needing to purchase a new catch or mechanism as he never damaged the originals ;) the only things to be damaged is the front grille which I had to cut out 3 small sections to enable me to fit the 10 mm socket throught ( a replacement aluminium grille has already been ordered off Ebay for £12.10) & the plastic cover over the latch mechanism which I will pick up sometime in the future as I have temporarily glued it back together.
I will how ever have to purchase a replacement latch cable & then using my Jedi mind training manipulate it through the chassis. This hopefully with enough time to spare to roar off to Alderaan to fight off the invading Empire Stormtroopers!
& back for Tea @ 6 ;) :lol:

·
Administrator
8,045 Posts
WaVeY_ReLoAdEd said:
Well Master Alfa Jedi, this Padawan will not be needing to purchase a new catch or mechanism as he never damaged the originals ;) the only things to be damaged is the front grille which I had to cut out 3 small sections to enable me to fit the 10 mm socket throught ( a replacement aluminium grille has already been ordered off Ebay for £12.10) & the plastic cover over the latch mechanism which I will pick up sometime in the future as I have temporarily glued it back together.
I will how ever have to purchase a replacement latch cable & then using my Jedi mind training manipulate it through the chassis. This hopefully with enough time to spare to roar off to Alderaan to fight off the invading Empire Stormtroopers!
& back for Tea @ 6 ;) :lol:
I wouldnt go to Alderaan if I were you, ive seen the film and everyone there gets blown up by the death star. Apparently, it was like a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of
voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. Make sure your home by 6 as I think it gets blown at 7!! :)

Terrible...

AO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts