Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i am in the process of building a 'classic car' which will be running a mid-mounted Alfa 156 V6 engine & gearbox.

massive increases in power arent really required as the car will only be about 650kg ish.

I cant seem to find much independant info about tuning the 156 engine for better power delivery & reliability.

I have looked through quite a few posts but would really appreciate some one in the know to give me a few pointers. Budget is obviously key as with any self build.....

Currently the following will have to be done anyway as the cars not standard sizes...
Custom Exhaust + induction kit - which induction kits work best?

Then i am considering the following.....
Fast Road Cams - any good ones about, what are Piper like?
Remapping - someone mentioned Angel tuning, anyone tried them before?
New fuel Boost valve
Maybe Gas flow the heads - is this worth while?

Like i said, would appreciate any input so i can make the most informed decisions possible. Im not too worried about getting much over 200bhp, but id really like it to be a good to drive & not need to much work to keep it going, hence the desire to keep away from risky mods!

Thanks in advance......

L

·
0 Posts
would it need a 3.o Litre ECU also or will the 2.5 ECU handle the extra 5ooCC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was originally going to use a 3.0 but for a combination of reasons I ended up going for a 2.5. Mainly price and the 156's width is manageable with the new vehicle, whereas the 166 is wider, and id have to modify drive shafts and various other parts to fit, again at some fairly serious costs. Assuming i can get the 2.5 up to about 200bhp, then i should be somewhere around 330bhp per tonne, which should be ample..... Once the car is built if funds permitted in the future i could swap it i guess if the mounts etc are the same for the 3.0 and the 2.5? Im currently using a rotten 156 as a donor for all my running gear, lump, gearbox etc...... Is the block interchangable for a 3.0 and a 2.5 then? are the gearboxes the same?! Im wondering if i could get the 3.0 now as well as the 156 donor.......

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
would it need a 3.o Litre ECU also or will the 2.5 ECU handle the extra 5ooCC
this is usually a hot topic that brings a lot of doubters ........i would get it fueled right some say use 3 litres injectors with 2.5 map .......but fueling and ignition curves are not suitable for efficient burn for power

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Personally id look at sourcing a 3.0 or even a 3.2 give autolusso a ring, they have lots of alfa v6 engines and ancilliaries palleted up so might even do a trade in if your 2.5 is in good running condition

:)

They may also be able to advise on further improvements.

Gearbox is interchangeable with the larger capacity engines.

L

·
0 Posts
this is usually a hot topic that brings a lot of doubters ........i would get it fueled right some say use 3 litres injectors with 2.5 map .......but fueling and ignition curves are not suitable for efficient burn for power
assuming a person wanted to use a 3.o Litre ECU, Code box & transponder in the 156 which car is the best donor? 166 i'd guess?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the advice guys, you'll have to excuse my niaivity here though and just confirm a couple of things for me.....

Are the mounts for a 2.5 v6 engine and gearbox from a 156 and the mounts from a 3.0 v6 engine and box from a 166 the same?

Essentially i have designed and am building a spaceframe around the running gear, hubs, suspension, brakes & electrics from a 156....
so.....
could i still use all the 156 gear, ie brakes, hubs, struts, steering, drive shafts etc, but drop in a 166 v6 3l engine and box onto the same mountings i have already spec'd up?! Or would the bigger engine need different mounting points and would the gearbox be any bigger etc?

The reason we went for a 156 is the width more than anything, i will be using the steering & front end from another 156, which, with 6 inch arch extensions means i dont have to cut down drive shafts etc etc etc. However, if i could just stick a 3.0 into the same space im already working with and still use all the 156 suspension, braking etc, then we could be onto a winner...... with a 225bhp lump and a bif of tuning i might be able to get up to 400bhp per tonne, which was my original goal!

Im not sure if any of this will be making sense.... i start to lose it after a while tryign to put the thoughts in my brain onto a computer screen!

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
The 3.0 engine is the same size as the 2.5, it is just a different capacity.

GTV/Spider 3.0 is a straight swap into a 156, a 166 3.0 will need more work, but if you have the bits from a 156 2.5v6 you can just swap the bits over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for that David, massively helpful... are the electrics interchangable, or would they need changing too?

Just tryign to work out which bits i would need to change from my current arrangements! I wish id come on here a few months back before i started!

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
If you already have the 156 v6, carry on building the car with that.
Leave the 2.5v6 as it is (it already flows too much air, allowing more in will only make it worse!)
When you find a 3.0v6 just swap it in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one last question..... can i retain the 6 speed from the 156 with the 3litre block dropping in? or wont they mate together?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts