Alfa Romeo Forum banner

New to Alfa - Which Giuietta - need the expert's advice!!??

1511 Views 28 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Siy
Hi All - I owned a Spider in acid green around 30 years ago. Once bought a Giulietta for my wife but she didnt like it, so we sold it after a week...! But I really liked it.

Rolling forwards to today, I just bought myself a rather nice Italian present 2 days ago, and now need to buy a run-around to go with it - and just think the Giuliettas look great. I need a hatchback for popping to shops/tip/gym etc...

So - it has to be a petrol engine. I am used to considerably faster cars, so either a Cloverleaf or (whats the next one down from that... A Veloce??? - Please educate me here!)

Have seen a Cloverleaf for sale with around 50k miles... 2012 car for about £8500

My natural instinct is to buy the fastest... am sure plenty will say thats not neccessary - just the way I am...

So - can anyone offer me that quick education?
Dont want to spend more than around £9k... and dont wnat anything with more than 50/60k miles on it already..... and want to get it asap.

Advice please Alfa Gurus...?
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
I have taken all this onboard for my search.
however now changing my criteria for a 2014 onwards car, is proving difficulty given I want the 1750 petrol with sun 50k miles, all within my budget of £8k Ish….

I have seen two available that tick the criteria but they are both 2012…..

Is it realistic to expect to get a 2014 1750 at that price point….? I feel it probably isn’t??
I think you are right. Just have a quick look at the classified adverts; a post 2014 1750 TBI with less than 50,000 miles is going to exceed your £8000.00 budget by some margin..

I wouldn't rule out an earlier car if I were you, have you actually been to see any cars in person and test driven one yet?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think you are right. Just have a quick look at the classified adverts; a post 2014 1750 TBI with less than 50,000 miles is going to exceed your £8000.00 budget by some margin..

I wouldn't rule out an earlier car if I were you, have you actually been to see any cars in person and test driven one yet?
thanks for the input. I drove a ropey one yesterday. Impressed with the power but the car was an absolute pit.

have found one with 40k miles in budget at an indie and he says it’s immaculate - but it’s too far to travel so I either take a punt and buy it blind or I wait.
Happy buying blind but much prefer doing that from someone on a site like this as people in these forums tend to appreciate and look after their cars

· Registered
6,932 Posts
Didn't stick with it very long. Is he looking to make a quick profit?
It appeared in the classified at £10,000 at the beginning of November
and has now reappeared at £9,500 but still above what he said his budget was at £8,000
Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf 1.75 Petrol - Black | Alfa Romeo Forum (alfaowner.com)

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I ended up paying way over my budget, and I have also spent quite a bit on it since buying it....I only bought it because I was awaiting a Ferrari California T, and wanted a run around so I am not using that all the time. Problem is, as nice as they are (and I do like Alfa)... I just cant live with the Front wheel drive. Torque steer just winds me up. So gonna change that for a BMW M135i or M140i

Its actually advertised at £9,800 but thought I would put it on here at £9,500 as people helped me on this site when buying. If my pricing is off, then let me know... apart form a scratch on the bumper, its in great condition.. the interior looks brand new. its not a get rich quick scheme ;-)

· Registered
43,018 Posts
Go for the M140i if you can. I had a 335i with the same N55 engine as the M135i and apart from the sound (which was fantastic) it left me a bit underwhelmed.

The M135i might be a bit better being a lighter car though.

The build quality on the 1 series isn't up to the standards many people would expect of a BMW either. They are noticeably less solid than a 3 series.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks Symon... I think you are probably right. as happened with the G, I set a budget, and then blow it...without fail.... always happens. Its just good old fashioned man-maths!!!!

think the 140 will be the winner! cheers

· Registered
43,018 Posts
It is a sure fire future classic that will hold value very well, due to the replacement being not as good in many areas.

4 cylinders and 4wd? No thanks... Not when BMW 6 cylinder engines are among the best in the business.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts