Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here but I've been a lurker on this forum for about 5 years since I got my first Alfa!

When I got my Giulietta 1.4 MA 170hp they came with 4 Pirelli Cinturato P7 and I've had these replaced by the same model whenever needed.

Nowadays though I think I can get better suited tires for my car, especially because I was never quite pleased with the P7 grip on wet, I've had a couple scares at moderate speeds and even lost of control once at low speed.

I've read a few of the other threads regarding tires but I couldn't come to any conclusion because my wheels are 16" contrary to the "norm" which are 17" I believe.

Hopefully you can help me by giving your testimonies or suggestions as to what tires I can get that are R16 and should be an improvement from the P7. Ideally they should perform much better on wet and if possible less noisy. The most positive thing about these P7 is that they last for a long time (or should I say km/miles).

I've read some good things about Michelin Pilot Sport 4 though I would like more input about it.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Dont get dunlop sport max rt2 I put these on the back a few months ago and the grip is terrible when cold. If a decent tyre wasn't £100+ I would have replaced them.

Head good things about the Pilot Sport and Continental Sport Contact 5.

Let us know how you get on with which ever you choose.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had contis on mine and they were great. I had 18's so not cheap at 102 quid a corner when i got them, but worth it!

Pilot Sport 4s are probably the optimum if money is no object but the performance you gain is not offset by the price, when you consider the cost of a really good quality tyre like Avon ZV7s

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
Can you get the Goodyear Assymetric 5's in your size?

I would go for them if you could.

Falken FK510's are great too if you are on a tighter budget.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My dad has the Cinturato P7s on his Giulietta MA and I think they're pretty crap. I find they spin up quite easily. I have Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on my GTA in the same size and I have to pull away like a complete knob to get them to spin.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I religiously stuck to the Pirelli's for 5 years, last time out my budget only went to 4 Toyo Proxes T1R's, very dramatic looking tread and transformed the stability of the car when compared to the Pirelli's. Only trouble is I,m on 17 inchers as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you so much for your input so far!

Out of your suggestions the only ones that come in 16 inches (205/55) are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, Avon ZV7 and Toyo Proxes T1R and from what I'm reading they should be a good improvement from the P7.

EDIT: Also found out that Continental Premium Contact 6 come in 16 inches, which seems like a good bet as well.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
Goodyear Efficientgrip performance are a good tyre in your size. They are slightly more comfort orientated than some though and quite soft sidewalls.

Uniroyal rainsports are good, if a bit fast wearing. Some rate the Avon you listed, but proper tyre tests suggest that they are pretty average.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thank you so much for your input so far!

Out of your suggestions the only ones that come in 16 inches (205/55) are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, Avon ZV7 and Toyo Proxes T1R and from what I'm reading they should be a good improvement from the P7.
Michelin PS4s are excellent. I have them now on my 147 (previously had Conti Sportcontact 5’s) and will be putting them on my new G Veloce in the not too distant future too. The G has P7s and I agree entirely with what you say about them. The Michelin’s grip well (both wet and dry), ride well and aren’t noisy..unlike the Hankooks on my 4C. They are a great compromise tyre.

·
Registered
371 Posts
..especially because I was never quite pleased with the P7 grip on wet, I've had a couple scares at moderate speeds and even lost of control once at low speed.
16 inches (205/55) - that's why you lack grip on that car :)

Kidding aside, wifes MA170 TCT came with some 2 year old 225/40R18 (Bridgestone i think?)
They make the car run :)

As you have found out, even Pirellis can't beat law of physics. Not that they are bad - just overpriced and overrated.
Most new tyres will do - pay too much and you just pay for brand, sponsors and adverts - not "quality"

Hankook Ventus Prime 3 is cheap and good.
Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 - Tyre Reviews

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 from Dunlop. They are amazing. Loads quieter (despite the noise rating being more) and loads of grip. Highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I would never have a Dunlop tyre on anything but a wheelbarrow! Almost feel the same for Avon tyres, the experiences I've had with both makes is extremely quick wear rate and poor wet road grip, both experiences have been felt on road car and motorcycles. I would recommend Continental and Bridgestone tyres to anyone in a heart beat if you have the budget. I still stand by the Toyo's for now!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would never have a Dunlop tyre on anything but a wheelbarrow! Almost feel the same for Avon tyres, the experiences I've had with both makes is extremely quick wear rate and poor wet road grip, both experiences have been felt on road car and motorcycles. I would recommend Continental and Bridgestone tyres to anyone in a heart beat if you have the budget. I still stand by the Toyo's for now!

The car came with Dunlop. Absolute garbage.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
My 2011 1.4MA Lusso, bought at 2300 miles, came with Continental Contact 2 on 16" wheels. Having been satisfied with them (I do not tend to drive to the limits) I have stuck with the Continentals as they seem to give good mileage. Last time it was Contact 5's. I have never had any problems in the wet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Falken 912 / RainSport 3 / GY Asy 3 or 5 / Continental PC5 would be my choices. It's a small range of prices but they are generally excellent in most road conditions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go for Michelin PS4’s. Best all round tyre. If your changing all 4 shop around. Costco run Michelin offers every so often and you can get upto £80 off a set of 4 but you do have to be member which costs around £30 a year. They sell all sorts of goodies and if you use your membership wisely you will save more than the £30 you spent on the membership.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Go for Michelin PS4’s. Best all round tyre. If your changing all 4 shop around. Costco run Michelin offers every so often and you can get upto £80 off a set of 4 but you do have to be member which costs around £30 a year. They sell all sorts of goodies and if you use your membership wisely you will save more than the £30 you spent on the membership.
I always liked the pilot sports on cars and bikes but always felt like a better dry weather tyre. The Bridgestones and Continentals always delivered more confident all round results imho!

·
Registered
67 Posts

I did this. Think I paid £330 for 4 18 inch tyres.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have zv7 on 16s. Much better feel than the Pirelli but down to 4mm after 10000 miles. Think they where £65 each fitted.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts