Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Giulietta is 5 years old on the 10th :beer::beer:

Timing chain is booked in for replacement with MOT and 2 injector cleans.

£500 in total.

Question is I am wanting to sell up to get a nice two seater convertible for the summer and just to keep for year or two.

Do I pay out for timing chain just to sell up or do I leave it?

Opinions please :D

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Spring time is maybe not best time to buy a drop top. Later Autumn, winter they're cheaper I bet. However I might eat my words when my timing belt is due in about 10 months / 42000 miles.

·
Registered
36,841 Posts
It's got a belt. Are intending to sell it to somebody hoping they don't ask?
I didn't wait till 5 yrs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine is 5.5 years old now, 63k on the clock. Just had the aux belt service which was £170... screw paying another £4-500 for the cambelt. I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Knowing the problems the earlier 1.9 and 2.4's had with waterpumps failing and throwing off the belt I wouldn't leave it longer than 4 years or about 40,000 miles between changes.

The Giulietta doesn't seem to suffer as badly as the earlier engines despite the pump being the same part, but even so why take the chance?

If the belt does come off then it will make any saving gained by not having the belt done seem like small change in comparison.

The book states every 5 years, or every 4 years under extreme conditions. But most of the stuff listed as extreme isn't really much different to what you would encounter in normal driving.

Also if you do sell the car the buyer is likely to want to haggle to cost of the belt change off of the asking price.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the pump isn't the same, it's been streghtened. Presumably better bearing selection.

But how much longer would you wait to do the cambelt, tensioner, idler and waterpump? coolant needs changing aswell.

I'm doing mine somewhere in the 4th year, probably around 60k miles.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
It appears to have the same part number.

Maybe the pump has been superceded across the board.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
you'll have to look at the very first 16v engines in eper, then you'll find the part numbers used. Once the newer part is available, the older ones are not visible for the newer engines if that makes sense.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My GQV recently had its late 4 year service, instead done at 5 years (2011 March first reg).
I brought the parts and not really surprising quite a lot of the original part numbers had been changed for one reason or another.

Those with new part numbers include;

Water Pump (original 60586222) Upgrade to 55254144
Cam Belt 55259615
Cam Aux Tensioner 5211749
Guide Roller 71771498

Aux Belt 51824327
Aux Belt Tensioner 55248410
Aux Belt Guide Roller 55248411

Spark Plugs (x4) 55217232
Oil Filter 71751128 (Note 55256371 from 2013 versions)
Air Filter 51843850
Pollen Filter 50511785
Engine Oil Fuchs Racing

After checking the removed parts for signs of wear, all were in very good visual condition.
My G had no squeaks or whining noises from the cam or aux belt drive before service and non after.

Yes, I also have and still own both 156 2.4JTD (since 2005) and 147 1.9JTD (the wife car and Bravo JTD before this 147) and done many a belt service on these cars myself or my son before the GQV arrived.
The 2.4 JTD's aux belt side is prone to some wear. The aux belt tensioner pivot spindle wears giving lateral movement, this causes the side of the belt to wear until it snaps or jumps the rollers. Also the aux belt tensioner guide roller, the bearing on the older versions tended to overheat causing the sealed bearing to lose its grease and start squeaking.
Cam belt wise I use Gates belt kits and never had any issues, but always changed using a new water pump.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2.0 140 Veloce is in today for first MOT and major service. A year today it will be in for the timing belt and water pump service. Any ideas on what indie's charge for this? Do I need to start saving now?:depressed:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Side indicators full of water and not working - I've heard that on here before I'm sure. Good news though that they only cost £20 each and literally clip in.

I should really bill Alfa for these seen as my warrenty does not run out until tonight at 12am. M'F's.

Was really hoping there'd be no issues. An advisory as well, rear tyres stepping. Mechanic said this was due to the crazy camber Alfa have dialed in. Loads of tread both sides, but the 'drone' will get worse. Pah - more Dunlops now for the rears this summer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
F me. £450 just for labour? What you pay an hour? I had an engine changed on an old Mondeo that took less than than for a complete smashed block and buggered turbo which came out, salvage one in. This can't be more than a five hour job for belt and pump? At most.
My major service today, was billed at two hours labour. That's oil change (nightmare getting to filter), pollen filter, fuel filter, and all round check which included refitting my brake pads with some copper grease (which the Mangoletsi monkeys had failed to do).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts