Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes fitted my new thermostat today, took me about 4 hours.
couple of tips.
1. ensure you cover the bell housing below the stat to ensure no fluid goes in the clutch
2. don't overtighten the two 13mm bolts that hold it on(its only alloy)
3.the hose clips are a pain in the arse to remove so replace all with jubillee type.
4. good time to renew your anti freeze , but don't mix if its pink use the same.
5. take your time and be carefull when removing rubber pipes you don't want to tear any (i found a narrow bladed flat scewdriver pushed up pipe and spray a little plus gas in gap to start things moving
6.double check for leaks once its all filled take car for short drive visual check.
7.top to if necessary when engine cold.

mine for alfa spider phase 2 (916) was £28 from europarts oe equipment included 25% discount promotion code is "25winter" (to get 25% off) there are many posts on here about stats so have a look, cars running better now and at the correct temp 88c. this reduces engine wear and increases mpg too.
my old stat was 20% open at all times so doing nothing to regular the engine temp.
quick way to check your stat.
start cold engine. feel top hose it should NOT BE HOT to start with,
the heater hoses that come off the stat should start warming up first.(thats the narrower 2)
then after approx 5-10 mins when the temps up to 88c the stat should open and the top hose start to feel hot.(if all your hoses feel the same temp after 30 secs which mine did stat is knackered. :lol:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took me longer than that to get the bloody clips off, and filter the anti-freeze. i was not in a rush.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Excellent advice and a great job done regardless of how long it took :)

I find I get most of the way through and then realise I don't have the right size of hose clip, so it's a 45-minute round trip to get some... including a few spares for next time that inevitably get lost...

I've never seen a Twinspark engine that didn't have a stuck-open thermostat. Think I've replaced five now.

-Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts