Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A316 from Chiswick through Twickenham out of London is a road I use on average about once a week or fortnight.
For many years it has had regularly spaced speed cameras - big yellow boxes clearly visible, mounted about 3m high pointed at the usual road markings of a series of parallel white lines crossing each lane showing the area being monitored.
About 3 weeks ago I noticed the absence of these old fixtures and have since been paying careful attention but couldn't spot any replacements.
Yesterday, I drove the route and now there are smaller yellow boxes, sometimes at a similar height, sometimes a lot higher, much less easy to spot. After passing a few of these looking for corresponding road markings, I eventually spotted that there are quite small (about 25cm) white arrows or chevrons (actually they look like about 80º angles) at the beginning of where you'd expect the camera's measuring zone to start. Nothing else.
These are much less obvious than the old style cameras.
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed these elsewhere and/or read or heard anything about the introduction of new speed camera technology?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/average_speed_cameras_on_a316

The same god awful average speed cameras they've put on the A40. During the day, they will make no difference (doing 40 is slightly optimistic). At night they turn me into a complete zombie - it's actually pretty hard to drive at a constant 40 in a modern car without paying rather too much attention to the speedo, unless you have cruise. I'm probably less likely to die in an accident, but my level of attention to the road in front is markedly diminished, so I'm more likely to have an accident in the first place.

All this on a road that cheerfully operated at 60 - 70 a few years ago.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
That's typical.
Dual carriageway that runs from Manchester to Liverpool, almost past my house. Used to be 70 in the 80's/90's. Most of it up where I live from Manchester (about 12 miles) is now 40 and 50. I think it does get to 60 beyond but I'm not sure is ever national speed limit.

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I suppose I should've known they'd be average speed cameras.
Although I think in most conditions 40mph is unnecessarily slow for a well lit 3 lane dual carriageway, the traffic speeding up in-between then slowing down for cameras was a bit daft and bad for noise, fuel consumption and emissions. So although boring, average speed cameras make a bit more sense TBH.
I wonder how this will affect revenue flow from speeding fines........?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts