Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody.

I got a new sound while driving. The car is 147 2.0TS. The sound is there only on low speed (i guess it is just too quiet to be heard high speed) and low revs, also while braking with engine (would like to know how to say it correctly in English). It sounds very similar to reverse rear sound but much quieter. I'm afraid that it is the prelude of the death song of something in transmission. Will appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Tim.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sounds like a bearing in the gearbox is on it's way out; most likely the "input shaft" bearing (the one closest to the clutch, NOT the actual clutch release bearing).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there oil in the gearbox?
Good question. I have a leak between gearbox and engine so I got no clue is it leaking from engine or gearbox. It is leaking for about a small coin puddle / day. The gearbox engine was changed 15k miles ago but I asked the guys at service check the gearbox oil level about 1k miles ago and they said that it is absolutely OK.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If the leak you have is gear oil (compare its appearance to your engine oil; is it the same colour/smell?) that would also indicate input shaft bearing failure; the extra movement in the shaft allowed by the worn bearing damages the seal, allowing the oil to leak out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the leak you have is gear oil (compare its appearance to your engine oil; is it the same colour/smell?) that would also indicate input shaft bearing failure; the extra movement in the shaft allowed by the worn bearing damages the seal, allowing the oil to leak out.
Yes, I'm aware of that but with transmission removal costs I decided to live with this leak. But now this sound. This is yet very quite but driving me nutz.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I understand you right it is the same bearing (on input shaft) that causes that noise and oil leak? If it is it how long may it last before critical things will happen?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Correct. If that is indeed the problem, it's only going to get worse, but how long before serious damage occurrs is difficult to say. The noise will gradually get worse, and eventually the clutch will become contaminated with oil. Bettter to rectify the problem now, otherwise it'll cost a lot more later. The bearing is relatively cheap, and can be replaced without stripping the gearbox (obviously has to be removed from the car). The seal is part of the release bearing assembly, so you'll need to change that as well. Also check the mainshaft nuts (at the other end of the gearbox, behind the end cover) as they often come loose.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not from where I am! Remote diagnosis is difficult when relying on peoples' description of a noise, you understand. But the information you have given certainly points to the input shaft bearing. Without being able to drive the car and hear it myself, I'm just guessing, really. But it's a good guess: I've seen the problem several times in the years I've spent working on these cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts