Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok… so I refused to refit the Pirelli P - Poos as they always felt just ‘OK’ on the car, did 9,000 miles before they were as bald as a bald thing and cost more than the UK current debt position to replace!!

So I hunted around for a suitable new tyre (I needed 4 as they all went off at 9K)

Looked at the various reviews and discussions here (lots of worried chaps extolling the woes of non standard fits etc…) :eek:

And settled on a non standard fit.:lol:

I got 4 Falcon 452’s after having read loads of data on loads of tyres makes.

The size is slightly different: 19/245/40 98y (as opposed to the standard fit 19/235/40 94y

The rolling radius change is only 1mm thus is fine in terms of speedo (reads near exactly the same as the satnav now…) the extra width might/will increase rolling resistance and thus increase fuel cons. But I’ve yet to see that having used 2 tanks of fuel so far. The extra width may also improve kerbing risk and scratching the allys?

Had them for a 2 weeks now and love em!!!

They are quieter than the Pirellis have a really sexy tread pattern, seem to handle as well in both wet and dry conditions exhibit little or no tram-lining and feel very planted (as compared to the Pirellis). they cost 123 quid a corner. (as opposed to 200 quid for the Pirellis) so I’m happy:)

The reviews seem to say that wear is comparable/better to/than other good tyres so if I get the same mileage or more I’ll be happy:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I got 4 Falcon 452’s after having read loads of data on loads of tyres makes.

The size is slightly different: 19/245/40 98y (as opposed to the standard fit 19/235/40 94y

:
Okay, I'll be the first to say it *sigh*.

In the event of an accident, you may not be insured anymore because you changed the tyre sizes. Sorry. :(

Then again, maybe no one will notice?

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
I'm running 245's but only AFTER I told the insurers. They were happy, so I bought them. Much cheaper and much better than the rip off Pirellis. :thumbs:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very interesting, I have done 8,500 in the LE and my front tyres at least, are pretty near replacing.

Would these be a viable option or are there any other tyres that may be a good fit instead of the pirellis?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
still running on Pirellis myself on my LE and will continue to ... fronts did almost 12k (but then I do 70 miles a day on big A-roads and motorway) and rears are just about ready to be replaced and now on almost 16k

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have the Falken 452's on, done 10k on them now and I have 5mm tread left all round, I did swap fronts for backs at 8k just to even out the wear rate. Very good tyres for the price.

·
Registered
185 Posts
OK so I need the opinion of an insurance company to have tyres of a marginally different profile:wow:

My 159 SW has the 225x50 R17 Bridgestones which I am intending to replace with 225x45 R17 Falken 452's when the need arrises

Can anybody help me with the % change in rolling diameter that this change will make?:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts