Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i am having a gear box fitted as we speak,the garage just phoned me and said that the exsisting actuator does not fit on the new gear box and they now have to get a new one that does fit,does this sound right, that a new selespeed gearbox would need a different size acuator.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
There are two different gearboxes and actuators.
They need to order the correct gearbox to match your actuator.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dave c, the mechanic said that there is now only one gearbox available now for the 147 selespeed and that gearbox requires a new actuator, your view would be appreciated

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It is an experienced Alfa mechanic?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is at a alfa dealership? the gearbox came from italy, do you think he has ordered the wrong box?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
First off, I hope they got you the gearbox for the "recon" price, not the outright price: about £800 instead of £2000.

If the alternative gearbox is no longer available for some strange reason then they could just change the shaft in the gearbox that the actuator connects to (about £25 for the shaft), much better than another £800+ for a new actuator.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forgot to say i am in south africa, i am not sure about gearbox recon but am going to guess that it is because of the price, lets assume it is you say the shaft can be replaced, would just like at this point to say thanks for help so far.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Yes you can change the actuator shaft on the new gearbox to match your existing actuator.

I'll post a pic... back in a bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you star will let you know what happens

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
As a point of interest, when you look in ePER at the gearbox for an early Selespeed, the replacement for the early gearbox is the later gearbox+the early shaft (46478154). Clearly listed...
(well, as clear as ePER ever is!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts