Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
First VW, now Audi....

I don't mind as long as an Audi engine doesn't find its way into an Alfa. That WILL spell the death of Alfa.
The ideal would be leave the build quality, assembly etc and electronics to the Germans and the styling, design and engineering to the Italians.

Methinks...Sergio won't budge...

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
One of the new Chrysler products in SA has Giulietta underpinnings. Yes, 'badge engineering' has been around for a long time. I've been told all TVs have the same main component, only its branded differently. This is all about economics.
The heart of an ALFA is its engine. The day a completely different motor from another brand is inserted into an ALFA and marketed as an ALFA, then my beloved brand is dead!

I'd rather drive an Italian VW, than a German Alfa...If you know what I mean....

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
See... An engine is made up of 3 major assemblies: Head, block and rotating assembly. Now when we say the head was Alfa, we do not mean the block, we mean the heads. The fueling arrangement is installed in such a way that using the GM heads would have been impossible. Hence the new head. That has been designed to be more efficient that GM heads. So our 3.2 put out their 3.6 power. But that's not the point. I didn't buy a GM engined Alfa. I waited.

Audi didn't even fit a Lambo head to their engines in the lambos. Even the power output was similar to Audi models.

Alfa Romeo was to me always about their unique suspension engineering, looks and engines. These would combine to make special cars. Remove one element and you don't have that.

Once again I will not buy this brand when it becomes prostituted like that. It's my opinion and I don't expect to sway anybody with this statement.

If Audi buys Alfa and allows it to inject it's own soul and heart and passion into the brand, then

I will but it.:thumbs:
Well stated. Agree 100 percent.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
No ones Audi makes powerful engines. But if Audi takes over, keep the engines where they belong...in Audis!
If they do what Tata has done after taking control of Landrover and Jag, then its fine . Tata has allowed autonomy to Jag and Landrover, and these brands continue to churn out superb products.
I don't want my spunky Italian feeling like a Teuton.
Anyway,I am getting my knickers in a knot for nothing. My gut feel...this is all hearsay...and Ferrari going to take ALFA forward. I think ALFA going to surprise in the future...in a positive way.
Remove the heart of an ALFA...its engine...and then you've killed it.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Alfa Romeos haven't had Alfa engines for a long time now. As it is now, we do not have blue blood Alfa Romeos, except the classic ones. VAG have done good things for Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti. I have a lot more faith in Audi than FIAT for sure.
I aagree, of recent ALFA engines have been a synthesis of Alfa, Fiat and GM components. This can spark the whole Alfa 'purist' debate again. I am a moderate as I love both Alfa classics and the current crop of modern ones.
What I would not like to see is Alfa losing its Italian identity, its "character." this is what defines an Alfa, together with its quirks, foibles, idiosyncracies, call it what you will.
If I may quote a British motoring journalist in his comparative test between a BMW 325i and a 916 GTv 2 litre, had this to say: "What is the difference between an Alfa and a BMW?
An Alfa has character!"

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
...well, the Germans already 'bought' off ex-Alfa chief designer, Walter de Silva. He's now in VW's employment. An element of 'style' is gradually creeping into VWs products.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Agreed....agreed, Fiat has not done the best job of taking Alfa forward.
Many Alfisti are hungry for a new Gta. The release of at least few new models in the future I.e. The Giulia, Spider, SUV? Is going to determine Alfas future.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I know personally of at least -+ 20 Giuliettas in the greater Durban area alone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.