Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To be frank - I really hope this happens... I'm tired of the mess FIAT is making of this brand.... and then we won't have to wait 10 years for new models!
I don't think Lamborghini or Ducati have lost any of their Italian-ness since Audi have owned them and if nothing else, the quality has simply gotten better...

And having Guigiaro (responsible for a lot of the best looking Alfas over the years) as the in-house design studio can't hurt either.

Audi rumored to buy Alfa Romeo, officials deny it

Marchionne's top priority is only buying the rest of Chrysler now anyway.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
First VW, now Audi....

I don't mind as long as an Audi engine doesn't find its way into an Alfa. That WILL spell the death of Alfa.
The ideal would be leave the build quality, assembly etc and electronics to the Germans and the styling, design and engineering to the Italians.

Methinks...Sergio won't budge...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sergio is bleeding cash in Europe and needs money if he wants to buy the rest of Chrysler. The Germans know this and they looking to catch Marchionne on a bad day and tempt him into selling Alfa.

It will be a surprise if they sell... Especially after commiting so much resources to AR since October last year.

Will be sad to see it go to the Germans...

·
Registered
938 Posts
ok i know this is a lot to wrap your mind around but try, my neighbours cousin (he is Perlotto) works for fiat italia
on the engine asembly line they dont only make fiat alfa engines they make most of the engines audi, vw, citroen,peugeot,renault are all just assembly companies parts come in from all over the world to the factory and they assemble the cars.they have there own designers but that is as far as it goes. like nike and addidas all made in china because the product is good and the price is right.fiat build them to client specs they also supply all euro diesel truck engines. and thats is why my gt 1.9 takes a opel 2l cam belt and pulleys and my cv booties comes of a vw and the reverse switch comes of a ford of some kind all parts i replaced using other than alfa parts and they were cheaper. did u know there are a number of parts from vw that fit a merc to the t only the box and the price differs. fiat just bought chrysler because they are developing a new alfa suv on the jeep chassis.alfa has a small assembly line not geared for mass production and the other problem the car looks good enough after 10 years that some people still asks if a 156 is a new car if they have not seen it before.that is alfa design, not for the masses.it is and always will be fait's sport car division.and the next sporty one will be on a mazda mx5 chassis. (so soon u can repace your alfa parts with mazda parts at half the price,same thing different box)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really want this to happen but I think it needs to happen. The distinct lack of models these past 10 years is causing Alfa to die a slow death.
That is what cheeses me off the most at the moment - no cars to buy -

- where is the replacement Brera, Spider and GT..??
- why do they stop producing a model when there is no replacement for it - yes, the Brera wasn't selling well, but if you have nothing else to replace it with at least continue producing it in limited quantities to give your customers SOME kind of choice (if they could do that for the 159, why not the Brera and Spider??) I would buy a brand-new Brera today if I could and so would many other people.
- by now they could have produced a coupe Giulietta and a GTA version and a Mito convertible to at least supplement the ridiculous situation of having only TWO models to sell - why has this not been done?
- the new Giulia is now said to only arrive in 2015 or even later - over 10 years to produce a replacement 159 - one single model? - you have to be kidding me!
- the new AR SUV, which I still see as a pointless model, is essentially the new Jeep Cherokee released this week in NY - so it has been hijacked to rush a new model to the US market, because the US market/Chrysler is more important to Marchionne than AR.

Yes, there are plans to bring out a string of new models in the next few years and we must all just be 'patient' - I first want to see that even happen and the fact remains, it should never have been allowed to get to this situation - bottom line!

And as you can tell - YES, I am cheesed off!! :mad:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
One of the new Chrysler products in SA has Giulietta underpinnings. Yes, 'badge engineering' has been around for a long time. I've been told all TVs have the same main component, only its branded differently. This is all about economics.
The heart of an ALFA is its engine. The day a completely different motor from another brand is inserted into an ALFA and marketed as an ALFA, then my beloved brand is dead!

I'd rather drive an Italian VW, than a German Alfa...If you know what I mean....

·
Registered
938 Posts
not to worry the next generation alfa engines are being design by ferrari in the begining alfa built ferrari engines i saw the write up somewhere but cant find it now.for some reason fiat wants to put more emphasis on the masarati brand, same engine and chassis as the 4 and 8 c.he also talked about the replacement of the 159 and the guilia.the guilietta is a good seller and will be produced for 10 years like the other alfas but there are other modles like the suv coming soon.the 159 and brera did not sell as many units as they wanted so there focus went other brands in the company but now that the guiletta is selling good (2 of my clients are converting from audi a4 and 325 bwm to guiletta) that will bring the focus back on alfa that is why ferrari is working on the next alfa engines they are coming back with a bang again sergio kept saying alfa is not for the masses but the select few who dare to drive them

·
Registered
344 Posts
To be frank - I really hope this happens... I'm tired of the mess FIAT is making of this brand.... and then we won't have to wait 10 years for new models!
I don't think Lamborghini or Ducati have lost any of their Italian-ness since Audi have owned them and if nothing else, the quality has simply gotten better...

And having Guigiaro (responsible for a lot of the best looking Alfas over the years) as the in-house design studio can't hurt either.

Audi rumored to buy Alfa Romeo, officials deny it

Marchionne's top priority is only buying the rest of Chrysler now anyway.
I also hope this happens. FIAT has been slowly choking Alfa Romeo to death, just like Lancia. At least under VAG ownership Lamborghini has been doing better than ever. At least there will be hope again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just imagine being able to buy a new model of your Alfa every 5 years or so... as apposed to every 10 YEARS (if we are lucky) under FIAT...
And then also, hopefully models won't just disappear - ie. Brera, GT, etc..

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
well if they ever decide to put audi engines in alfas, like they are doing with lamb, then i'll be moving to another brand.
Don't quite understand this. Audi engines are far far better than GM engines, yet the 1.9/2.2 JTS and V6 Holden (all GM engines) were put into the 159/Brera/946 Spider. Did people move away from the brand when these engines were fitted?

And the heads on these engines weren't Alfa. The entire block was GM, only the fuelling arrangements were Alfa.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A suitable story for this morning.
Agreed... I suspect that the site that first broke the story was pulling a April's fools joke. Just did it a little earlier since publishing it today would have been too obvious.

Doesn't mean that Audi is not interested. VAG has been circling around AR for more than two years now.. And FIAT needs cash to buy the rest of Chrysler. So opportune time to try and snap up AR.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Agreed... I suspect that the site that first broke the story was pulling a April's fools joke. Just did it a little earlier since publishing it today would have been too obvious.

Doesn't mean that Audi is not interested. VAG has been circling around AR for more than two years now.. And FIAT needs cash to buy the rest of Chrysler. So opportune time to try and snap up AR.
It probably doesn't do VG any harm to spread uncertainty about their competitors.

Enormous changes not withstanding though, anyone who thinks this is likely doesn't understand the importance of Alfa to Fiat Group plans. This includes the author of the piece in the OP.

This latest story seems to have originated with Bloomberg a few days ago.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.