Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get two tyres soon for my F/L 166 3.0 Sporto.

I've always been a bit anal about tyres, all of my Italian cars run Pirellis and my French car wears Michelins. Always the tyres that the cars wore when they left the factory.

The trouble is that the 235/40 ZR 18 Rossos are now around £170 a go fitted.

Has anyone out there tried other 235/40 ZR 18s?

My mileage is mainly motorway stuff. I don't want some ridiculous soft things that wear out in 6k miles or that sound like 'Starsky & Hutch' sound effects whenever I go around a bend.

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
example

Falken

235/40R18 95W Reinforced

Price includes mobile fitting, new valve, electronic balancing & environmental tyre disposal. No hidden extras.

Fully fitted price£127.00 inc VAT each.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll look at that.

I did check Black Cirles.com but they were more expensive than my local man.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's interesting.

My current tyres may be "over-specified", P Zero Rossos 235/40 ZR 18 95Y

Load rating could be 91

Speed rating, could I use a W or Y rated tyre. 166s can't do more than 150 mph can they?

·
Registered
831 Posts
depends on conditions i suppose

it is not whether the car can do it but if you do it!!! are you likely to go that fast?

my twinnie can probably got in excess of 100 but I do not drive much more than 80

so maybe go for a lower spec tyre

·
Registered
754 Posts
Key things for me are

1. road noise
2. wear

I had a set of Eagle F1s and they lasted 5 minutes and sounded horrible. Have had Michelin Pilots since the Spring and they are sweet. We'll see if they last longer, too but reports I've read are good so I'm hopeful.

Have always had respect for Avons but don't know the current tread line up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
On my 18" summer wheels I use Continental SportContact 3 (235/40 R18). Happy with them so far. In the tests I've seen they do very well. Havent' put many kilometers on them so can't say much about wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts