Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided last minute for some cheeky drinks in York on Friday night. Got stuck at work much longer than hoped so was running quite late. Not one to disappoint the boys with my poor time-keeping, I decided to spank it up the m-way. :lol::eek: Really quite hard.

Came off onto the A64, light traffic ~9pm passed a blue Focus ST who decided that he wanted a bit of fun.:D

Well, my 159 performed fantastically well. He kept a safe distance behind me, but there was no way he was making ground, in fact on full boost I was pulling away until I ran out of revs and he gained a couple of metres where he had a few extra thou revs. An amazingly even match.

Slower traffic, he pulled along side, gave me a quick flash and I let him pass into a gap I'd made in front of me.

His turn to lead the way up the A64 :thumbs:

Same story, I had the torque and gained on him, then he had the revs and gained on me as I was getting into 5th.

For those who know, red line in 5th is quite a fun place to be when chasing something allegedly faster than you ;)

I gave him a flash before I pulled off at Mcarthur Glen outlet and he decided to come off to. I pulled along side him, he wound his window down and asked me what I had under the bonnet saying how fast it was for a bigger car.

Think he was gutted when I said a 2.4 evil diesel :lol::cheese:

We went on our seperate ways, me with a big smile on my face.

My 159 did me proud. Not bad for a 'heavy' 'slow' 'chugging' diesel. ;)

Speeds :confused: Erm... very.
Naughty :confused: Erm... yes.
Fun:confused: Erm... yep!

FYI specs of the ST:-

Cubic Capacity 2522 cc
Cylinders 5
Valves 20v
Power [email protected] ps/rpm
Torque [email protected] lb/ft
1392 kg

max speed 150mph
0-60mph 6.8 secs.
:thumbs:

New respect for my beastie. Am off to trawl the ST owners club forums for a blue ST driver asking why his Ford wasn't quicker than a big red Alfa saloon...

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect you'd have left him for dead JB ;):thumbs:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else had some fun with something allegedly more powerful:confused:
:cool:

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Anyone else had some fun with something allegedly more powerful:confused:
:cool:
A few times, but not recently. Slowing down in my dotage I think:lol:

I do remember catching out a ST170 on a slip road not all that long after I got my car. OK, I caught the guy out and shouldn't have been faster, but it was fun anyway. Also romped away from quite a few 320d's, which puts the lie to the so-called performance figures.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
So all is fine with modern diesel performance just so long as the exhaust system is functioning properly, agreed? And what have we operating on that exhaust system?

Oxygen sensor.
Catalyst input temperature sensor.
NOx trap
2nd oxygen sensor.
Temperature sensor.
Diesel particulate filter.
2nd temperature sensor.
Electronic Control unit.

Simpulls! Guess I missed a couple though.:eek: :(:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Decided last minute for some cheeky drinks in York on Friday night. Got stuck at work much longer than hoped so was running quite late. Not one to disappoint the boys with my poor time-keeping, I decided to spank it up the m-way. :lol::eek: Really quite hard.

Came off onto the A64, light traffic ~9pm passed a blue Focus ST who decided that he wanted a bit of fun.:D

Well, my 159 performed fantastically well. He kept a safe distance behind me, but there was no way he was making ground, in fact on full boost I was pulling away until I ran out of revs and he gained a couple of metres where he had a few extra thou revs. An amazingly even match.

Slower traffic, he pulled along side, gave me a quick flash and I let him pass into a gap I'd made in front of me.

His turn to lead the way up the A64 :thumbs:

Speeds :confused: Erm... very.
Naughty :confused: Erm... yes.
Fun:confused: Erm... yep!

QUOTE]

Just don't try the same with a grey/green volvo S60

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, you're correct Zed :thumbs:

Mines running like a dream though. ;) Quick and smooth. I'm convinced its pulling way more than 250bhp - need to get it rr'ed though :)

Simples. ;)

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Am I missing something??

Don't you have more power and torque? hence the M250 tag on your whats driving, not exactly an accomplishment if so.
He didn't know that :lol: And I was really happy with the performance of mine.

And still on paper, the ST is a far quicker car with a turbo petrol engine and better power to weight ratio.

Couldn't compare on corners, just straight line in-gear acceleration.

The 159 gets a slagging now and again - just wanted to redress the balance :thumbs:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nice one Hunter! :cool:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Appreciation appreciated Ray. :thumbs::): But will those competing tractors,(As HM calls them:D ) maintain those performance factors in a durable and continuous fashion. Let's hope DPF systems are being worked on.:):

1 - 20 of 35 Posts