Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35,759 Posts
The studio would be working on the later stages of this right now. And I hear they're not....

·
Registered
35,759 Posts
I think it'll be too late. The new model cannot be a Giulia with shorter overhang at the rear as it will be too heavy and sell for much less but cost very little less to produce. There will be no continuity of owners from existing Giulietta owners. A bit like 159 to Giulia.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Well isn't the existing platform shared with the 4wd jeep renegade? Take out the front drive shafts......:biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think it'll be too late. The new model cannot be a Giulia with shorter overhang at the rear as it will be too heavy and sell for much less but cost very little less to produce. There will be no continuity of owners from existing Giulietta owners. A bit like 159 to Giulia.
Your are spot on, hence I jumped ship and I got a Renegade. My G had just about every factory option so was not possible to get a better spec car & with no all new G around the corner I left the Alfa brand.

However my dad has still got his GT Blackline & I am toying with the idea of getting a 916 spider for the summer.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
yet they've done it before... Alfa GT, alfetta, Giulietta II, 75 etc...

and the current giulietta platform exists in more than 1 size, see the Dart (longer wheelbase and wider track).

Ironically the Giulietta rear suspension setup was designed to house an AWD system but looks like it'll never happen...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
funnily I am also drawn to that Jeep Renegade thingamabob! But do they handle like an Alfa? I love going into a corner and just pushing the throttle when other drivers start to push their brakes!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I think you're looking at the wrong car segment then...

edit:

anyway, according to this page the 1.6 diesel had a 2'03" on the autozeitung test track, which is bendy and does't favour high top speeds.

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/fiche5891-jeep-renegade-1-6-multijet.htm

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/fiche3338-alfa-romeo-giulietta-iii-1-4-multiair.htm

I couldn't find figures for comparable engines so I added a 170 MA giulietta. 1'51"60 time....

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/fiche3912-alfa-romeo-giulietta-iii-2-0-jtdm.htm

and the 140 jtdm does 1'52"10.

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/fiche5432-alfa-romeo-giulietta-iii-1750-qv-tct.htm

the new QV does 1'49"70.

I hope this demonstrates the difference is mainly in handling/grip and not power.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I quite like the thought of having a cheap but capable 4x4 which the Jeep seems to be? But I'm not leaving the Alfa fold any time soon no matter how many tailgate wires I have to repair!!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I like it too.

the vitara isn't what it was at the beginning, the Pajero/shogun Pinin is no more etc...

I want a small 4x4 when I emigrate. to be used off-road.

Niva is a contender

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like it too.

the vitara isn't what it was at the beginning, the Pajero/shogun Pinin is no more etc...
Ive got the new Vitara (SZ5 model) all grip and i have to say whilst it feels abit sluggish (1.6 petrol N/A engine) and lack of feel through the steering wheel compared to the G i still love it for what it is.

Alot smaller than you think but very roomy inside. especially compared to the old Rav 4 we had.
Their switching 4x4 system seems to work brilliantly, and they say the 1.6 diesel is the Fiat/Alfa unit....wouldnt be surprised if the TCT gearbox is the same as well so its very doable from the Alfa prospective engineering lot to just plop a similar system in, if it isnt theirs in the first place.

Edit:
plus they are brining out a new 1.4 turbo engine in the car ...... wonder where they get the lump from??

·
Registered
255 Posts
funnily I am also drawn to that Jeep Renegade thingamabob! But do they handle like an Alfa? I love going into a corner and just pushing the throttle when other drivers start to push their brakes!
I having gone from a 2010 170MA Veloce with 18" wheels to a Renegade 140MA Limited, I would say the Jeep in the twisty stuff is surprisingly close to my previous G. Renegade rides the bumps a lot better (still 18" wheels but 55 profile), but the steering is not quite so responsive.

Performance of the 140MA is comparable to running my G in Natural mode so is quick enough in normal driving, I do miss the my G for the looks & performance but what I don't miss is the dash rattles, squealing clutch, squeaky rear suspension, not going into 1st gear, leaking rear door seals & vibrating door panels (BOSE).

After test driving the Renegade is just proved how far things have moved on compared to the G, overfall the Renegade is a better all round package (Which you expect as it's a lot newer design).

However with all my negatives about my G, I don't regret purchasing my G as far as looks, handling & performance go the G is still way ahead of the competition its's the rest of the car the needs bring up-to-date (build quality & tech).

Jeep is only a temporary blip & I intend to get back in the Alfa fold again if & when the all new G finally arrives.

·
Registered
35,759 Posts
"Jeep is only a temporary blip & I intend to get back in the Alfa fold again if & when the all new G finally arrives."
It's going to be a long blip, whatever that's called!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I would love to think that we're getting a new G in 2017. That's when I'll be buying my next car at latest. But Alfa are not exactly filling me with confidence. And remember, the current G will be 7 years old by then. It needs to be replaced. It can't drag on like Alfa have made previous models do, long past their sell by date.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
.....and how old is the Mito??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts