Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home last night, the temperature warning light came on and I noticed the engine temp was at 130 degrees. I wasn't far from home so drove there and popped the bonnet open. There was coolant everywhere and steam was coming out of the engine. I let the car cool down, popped some coolant in and started it up. Coolant started dripping out of the bottom of the radiator.

I know a couple of things can cause overheating (water pump failure etc) but this looks a simple case of a knackered radiator. A water pump failure is unlikely because this was replaced six months ago at the same time as a cambelt change and the symptoms are different I think.

Assuming I need a new rad, does anyone have any recommendations ? I see genuine ones advertised for around 230 but obviously something cheaper but of a decent quality would be preferable. I have a 2005 facelift Twinspark Ti. A brief look at some sites suggests the radiator design has not changed between the original and facelift models. There are radiators on Ebay from 50 quid but I'd rather go with a recommendation. Trying K-Seal is an option but I guess this works better for small leaks. I might pop some in over the weekend but need other options if it is indeed the radiator at fault. Thanks as always for any advice.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I always wondered if the ts 166 used a similar radiator as the 147 156 gt models.

I might be soon replacing mine as its just old so sometimes runs about 90 solid as I just don't think its that efficient.

Will find out more.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always wondered if the ts 166 used a similar radiator as the 147 156 gt models.

I might be soon replacing mine as its just old so sometimes runs about 90 solid as I just don't think its that efficient.

Will find out more.
I ordered one from adrad.co.uk after reading old posts on this forum. Valeo was also mentioned favourably, and both are a lot less than the original Alfa part. I'll let you know how it goes with this radiator. Fitting is on Wednesday with my local mechanic. There are some good guides on the forum on how to fit one, but frankly I have too much on at the moment and this is one job I am willing to outsource.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts