Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's contract renewal time and I don't know what to choose. I know I want an android and have narrowed it down to 3 but beyond that I'm stuck.

Usage will be:

1. Phone and texting obviously
2. Light internet use (mainly for checking the running of trains and that sort of thing)
3. As a music player to prevent me having to carry my MP3 player.
4. i'll probably want a few apps

It can't cost a fortune a) because I am but a poor public servant and b) because I'm ham fisted and will drop it in a bucket of water or something.

I've narrowed it down to these three:

Xperia

I like the slidey out keyboard on this

HTC Wildfire S - Full phone specifications

My daughter says this is the one.

Should you buy the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830? Read our Samsung Galaxy Ace review plus Samsung Galaxy Ace reviews by users and find the best buy in the UK (Free Samsung Galaxy Ace pay as you go - 3, O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Three, Vodafone)

I like Samsung phones and get on well with them.

Any thoughts?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have an Virgin HTC Desire S with 200mins, 3000texts and 1G/mth download (the phone is free) for £18 a month which seems pretty cheap (and it's a nice phone).

But I think you might have to have other services with Virgin to qualify - worth finding out though?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an Virgin HTC Desire S with 200mins, 3000texts and 1G/mth download (the phone is free) for £18 a month which seems pretty cheap (and it's a nice phone).

But I think you might have to have other services with Virgin to qualify - worth finding out though?
I do have other service with Virgin as it happens so I get any of the above phones for £11.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Have a look at the latest (March 2012!) PC Pro magazine, as they have a big review on smart phones, including two of the phones you are looking at. Easily found in WH Smith :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mrs has the Samsung galaxy 2, very quick operating system.
Looks good in white too.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Get an Iphone losers :p :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
It's contract renewal time and I don't know what to choose. I know I want an android and have narrowed it down to 3 but beyond that I'm stuck.

Usage will be:

1. Phone and texting obviously
2. Light internet use (mainly for checking the running of trains and that sort of thing)
3. As a music player to prevent me having to carry my MP3 player.
4. i'll probably want a few apps

It can't cost a fortune a) because I am but a poor public servant and b) because I'm ham fisted and will drop it in a bucket of water or something.

I've narrowed it down to these three:

Xperia - I like the slidey out keyboard on this

HTC Wildfire S - My daughter says this is the one.

Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 - I like Samsung phones and get on well with them.

Any thoughts?
To be honest, with the usage you're interested in there won't be a huge difference. Personally I'm a fan of the HTC phones and of the people I know that have bought them (Windows 6.0/6.5/Android/Windows 7 Mobile) they have all liked them.

I'm also a fan of the slidey keyboards and definitely missed mine when going touch-screen only (though the ts on the current HTC Windows phone is about as good as I've used). For short messages I wouldn't say it's crucial, but I use mine for making longer sets of notes and that's where the physical keyboard comes into its own (or maybe it's my chubby fingers just prefer it!)

I like some of the Sony stuff although I've heard a few mixed reviews about the Xperia, but I'd certainly visited a CPW/phone shop to try one of them out first.

Samsungs... I guess it depends who you know - I've only known a couple of people with Samsungs and 1 loved it, 1 hated it and I just remember who they sponsor ;)

So long as you don't buy an LG... Potentially good phones but so frustrating at the same time!

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,419 Posts
I have an Xperia X10 mini pro, good phone and I am hopefully getting the Xperia ray shortly

Mrs Gaz has a HTC Sensation thing, its huge and white but its a good piece of kit

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
If.......I didn't have a fruit phone I'd have the samsung everytime. Used to haev samsung phones before and they were excellent :)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to stick to what I know best and get the iPhone 4s shortly. They're all much of a muchness these days and I don't think there is a stand out device anymore.

I watched an extensive review on the gadget show and the 4S was put up against its 5 strongest competitors. It came out second best to the Samsung galaxy Nexus. However the things the nexus beat the iPhone on were marginally comparable but the tests where the apple came out on top it won hands down.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I would have to say that, much as with cars, phones and much other tech can be very subjective at times... People often stick with what they or their friends use so long as it's not been a disaster. That said, of course mine is the best phone available ;) and anyone saying otherwise is a crazy fool

Signed
Mr T

·
Registered
775 Posts
Have a look at a nokia lumia 800. I'm getting my wife one , looks good with the new microsoft OS, with the tiles

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I'm going to stick to what I know best and get the iPhone 4s shortly. They're all much of a muchness these days and I don't think there is a stand out device anymore.

I watched an extensive review on the gadget show and the 4S was put up against its 5 strongest competitors. It came out second best to the Samsung galaxy Nexus. However the things the nexus beat the iPhone on were marginally comparable but the tests where the apple came out on top it won hands down.

I bought mrs Chris a 4s to replace her 3GS ... After nagging me that it was so much better ... Well her first comment was 'oh, it's just the same as my old phone'

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Keithyboy, What phone are you replacing? Will the new one actually do anymore?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts